Book Review: High Performance Driving By Tom Wisdom

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Mini Spirit

Book Review: High Performance Driving By Tom Wisdom

Postby Mini Spirit » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi, guys not sure if any of you have read this book, but I'm really enjoying reading it, it shows how the HPC high performance course came into affect.

The Candidates trained in the Aston Martin DB4, before the Maximum speed was introduced, at speeds of over 140mph on the road, with no seat belts required, although at that time DB4 had them installed, lol. Crazy

It's all based on Advanced Road Driving.

The book was published in 1966, & Tom Wisdom, was one of this country's better-known names in motor racing, rallying and journalism.

He had competed with success in such races as the Portuguese Grand Prix, Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans 24-hour Race, and won the Grand Turismo
Class three times in the Mille Miglia.

He had competed in the Monte Carlo Rally 23 consecutive times and has broken World Records with Capt. George Eyston and the late John Cobb.

It was one of those books I couldn't put down.
IAM F1RST

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Book Review: High Performance Driving By Tom Wisdom

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:45 pm

It's one of Nick's geeky driving books - an ever expanding collection. You might like Expert Driving the Police Way by John Miles, too.
Nick

Mini Spirit

Postby Mini Spirit » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:07 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:It's one of Nick's geeky driving books - an ever expanding collection. You might like Expert Driving the Police Way by John Miles, too.

I've nearly finished that book, but not that keen, It touches on many subjects, but in a very basic way.
IAM F1RST

vieuxtigre

Postby vieuxtigre » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:07 pm

It's what started it all for me. Found it on the shelves of my local library at the tender age of 15. Devoured it, Roadcraft and everything else motoring I could get my hands on. I still refer both to it and to John Miles's book mentioned by Mr C-W from time to time but can't help regretting that the halcyon days of motoring in which they were written have largely disappeared.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:03 pm

I read it a while ago and thought it was good. I've got a few of these type of books. I may give them another read. :)

Smeeagain

Postby Smeeagain » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:23 pm

This one is arguably not about 'advanced' driving but it probably was in it's day. it a reprint of an ld 1920's / 1930's book which I got a while back as a gift and it is fantastic (IMHO)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Drive-Car- ... rive+a+car

Smee

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”