Live Fast, Drive Hard - My RoSPA Diary

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Rainmaker

Re: Live Fast, Drive Hard - My RoSPA Diary

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Alasdair, thanks for the kind comments. I was more worried about people's patience with reading it all than being able to fit it all in the envelope. ;) Nice to hear it was appreciated.

Nick, you probably just know it by another name, or don't call it anything specific. For the benefit of those who don't know:

When driving the forces are distributed around the vehicle according to the basic laws of physics. When you accelerate, the weight of the car is pushed backwards over the rear wheels and the nose will 'lift'. This is why RWD gets better traction under hard acceleration whereas FWD cars can experience some wheel spin when the front goes 'light'. The same goes for braking, whereby the weight of the vehicle continues forward as you apply the brake, making it 'nose heavy' and, depending on application, could potentially make your back end step out.

Three phase braking is simply the act of giving the vehicle 'notice' of your intended input. Warning the car of your intentions will always result in a smoother drive, for example by first applying a modicum of throttle a split second before carrying on to plant your foot for full acceleration. It gives the weight time to redistribute smoothly, and thus results in a more balanced (read: smoother) drive.

As we know, many people will use the pedals as binary switches, clog and anchor style. They'll mash the throttle, lift straight off (no easing) then apply braking force. They tend to do the same when applying/lifting the clutch for gear changes. If you pay attention, you'll see that they are often the ones whose passengers are nodding away like a Churchill dog... The more sympathetic of them might ease off the brakes as they slow to reduce the whiplash effect as they stop, but most don't consider the initial application. By using 'three phase braking' you:

1) Start by applying just enough braking pressure to push fluid to the pistons/calipers and allow things to tighten up.
2) A moment later, as the weight begins to settle forward, you will find you can apply even rather hard braking with minimal loss of smoothness.
3) Finally ease very sloowwwwllly off the brake and then gently-then-more-firmly back onto the drive.

Hence, 'three phase braking'. Reg Local actually did a video covering the basics of this recently:

His other videos (especially the introduction to System) are very good as well for anyone with a spare hour, new associates etc. I hope this helps someone. :)

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 pm

As I understand it three phases of braking are the initial ramping up of pressure on the pedal followed by sustained pressure to achieve the desired retardation leading to feathering off the pedal pressure as the car reaches the desired speed so that there is no jerk as the pedal is released.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Rub - Condense - Release

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Jonquirk wrote:As I understand it three phases of braking are the initial ramping up of pressure on the pedal followed by sustained pressure to achieve the desired retardation leading to feathering off the pedal pressure as the car reaches the desired speed so that there is no jerk as the pedal is released.

8-)

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Can you expand on "three phase braking"? It's not a phrase I've seen before...

Ddin't watch Reg on braking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkE0q1s-lng

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 pm

Having spent two days with top professionals, you may be rather far along the advanced driving journey to benefit much from a typical Rospa tutor, who will probably not have had that privilege. That is not to discourage you from further sessions with your tutor - driving with fellow enthusiasts is always positive - but there is no knowing whether he is any further along the journey than you are already.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:23 pm

I haven't watched any of Reg, I'm sorry to say. I do have his book, although I haven't had time to open it yet. I've read most of his "essay" posts on PH though, so probably know most of the book content :)

(and not all RoSPA tutors are bumbling amateurs with no history of professional instruction, waremark ;) )

ETA: now watched and understood. Thanks.
Nick

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I haven't watched any of Reg, I'm sorry to say. I do have his book, although I haven't had time to open it yet. I've read most of his "essay" posts on PH though, so probably know most of the book content :)

(and not all RoSPA tutors are bumbling amateurs with no history of professional instruction, waremark ;) )

Nor IAM Observers, if it comes to that! I did say 'There is no saying' and 'will probably not have had that privilege'.

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:42 pm

waremark wrote:Having spent two days with top professionals, you may be rather far along the advanced driving journey to benefit much from a typical Rospa tutor, who will probably not have had that privilege. That is not to discourage you from further sessions with your tutor - driving with fellow enthusiasts is always positive - but there is no knowing whether he is any further along the journey than you are already.

That's a very good point actually. The guy I was out with could have been 'qualified' a week for all intents and purposes (he wasn't, but I'm broadly in agreement with you). As it stands the group alternate observers/instructors for associates session by session, and a few are also DVSA fleet/ADI and (I believe) a Class One. At least I'll get exposed to a broad variety of ideas and input, and at £38 for 12 months unlimited tuition one really can't grumble as a first step on the 'AD ladder'. :)

Nick, get the book read and watch the videos; they're really good. The book is very much a 'real world Roadcraft for civvies' with some nice anecdotes and real life examples. He also managed to avoid the Ben Collins social ambulance syndrome (me-me, me-me, me-me... lol). Reg is a top bloke in the real world and someone I have a lot of time for.

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:38 am

Detailed write up in fairness to you. They will praise you up to think you're Tommi Makkinen on the first drive. To keep you motivated, you may be a gifted driver. Not to be the party spoiler, I know on my first IAM drive he made me think what can he teach me after such glowing praise. A lot I discovered by other people I'm only at 00.1% on my journey.

Best of luck with the observed runs. The use of a snail's pace made me laugh. But those dvd's will help you if no one has suggested them. Ultimate Driving Craft by Chris Gilbert. Roundabout approaches I am assuming your observer will use planning to stop looking to go.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”