Getting Started/Putting it into practise!

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
sped691

Getting Started/Putting it into practise!

Postby sped691 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi all,

(This might well seem daft but)

Does anyone have any tips on the best approach to putting advanced driving technique's into practise?

Basically, I've read Roadcraft, the IAM book, watched youtube video's etc but need a plan as to how to begin to put my learnings to use.

My anyone's experience, is there any particular thing to start doing first?

Cheers

Craig

Horse

Re: Getting Started/Putting it into practise!

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Learn to see.

That's different to 'looking', which is just pointing your head and eyes in any particular direction.

Then, when you see something, start to think about what you need to do.

"What if . . . ?"

"How can that affect me?"

That's the point at which the book stuff should come in useful.

After that, think and reflect:
- What was smooth, what was 'lumpy'?
- What felt right, what jarred?
- Did you put yourself where someone could 'get' you?
- If so, perhaps there were there clues you missed?
- Were you surprised by something?

And, of course, if it had gone Pete Tong, could you have stopped or had an escape route?

Be honest ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi Craig,

Best thing would be to sign up for an IAM or ROSPA course - they will give you all the help you need to 'put it into practice' and ROSPA is cheaper than the IAM but both are excellent value for money (being run by volunteers)

ROSPA Advanced Riders and Drivers

IAM 'Skill for Life'
IAM groups directory

Don't get too hung up about going with either organisation...find a local IAM or ROSPA group that's most convenient to you as the training and test are very similar.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Once you have 'seen' what you need to do, give yourself more time and space than you think you need to do it.

Assuming you are slowing for a corner, to get the speed off early and smoothly means both tapering on and off the brakes. To begin with, coming off the brakes smoothly can take a long time and, therefore, distance.

Changing gear smoothly also takes time and distance initially. Disengaging, selecting gear, rev matching and re engaging the clutch pedal is a a lot to think about when you first try it.

Allow yourself the time and space to get it all done and worry about speeding it all up later. The worst thing you can do is rush it all and find you are too fast and in the wrong gear too near to whatever it is you are trying to negotiate. You are always better of a little too slow than a little too fast.

The best thing you can do is find somebody who knows what they are doing and go for a drive with them. That could be via your local advanced driving group or a private message on here.
Adam.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Watch out on here for the 'Days'. Friendly get-togethers, with a huge range of experience to be shared.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:00 am

Which clips on youtube have you watched? Chris Gilbert's Ultimate Driving Craft helped me. Easy to follow instructions and useful graphics to explain the limit point etc.

michael769

Postby michael769 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:51 am

martine wrote:Hi Craig,

Best thing would be to sign up for an IAM or ROSPA course -

I have to agree with Martin. The books/videos are excellent and you will definitely pick stuff up that will improve your driving if you apply them.

But....

We all have very ingrained bad habits, not all of which we are aware of - and no books or videos will help us spot them all. It is far easier for an uninvolved third party sitting in the passenger seat to spot issues than it is for the person who is actually having to do the drive.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:58 am

I am a great believer in the benifit of driving with a good driver. Reading books and watching videos is very limited. You need to see it put into practice by someone who is good at it.

As another said get to one of the driving days arranged by forum members on here.

hir

Postby hir » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:22 pm

martine wrote:Hi Craig,

Best thing would be to sign up for an IAM or ROSPA course - they will give you all the help you need to 'put it into practice' and ROSPA is cheaper than the IAM but both are excellent value for money (being run by volunteers)

ROSPA Advanced Riders and Drivers

IAM 'Skill for Life'
IAM groups directory

Don't get too hung up about going with either organisation...find a local IAM or ROSPA group that's most convenient to you as the training and test are very similar.

+1

... and don't get too hung up about the observer/tutor who is allocated to you. Listen, inwardly digest, try and put what he says into practice and if some of it doesn't work for you put it to one side and either come back to it later or just forget it. Remember the rules of advanced driving consist of 20% of things we must do, 20% of things we mustn't do and 60% of things we argue about interminably. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speary

Postby Speary » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:06 pm

It's near impossible to correct faults yourself as you only know what you know. I use golf as an example. I can practice till the cows come home but I will not improve unless somebody points out and corrects the faults.
I would strongly recommend joining your local IAM or ROSPA group
Many IAM groups such as mine offer free assessments and taster sessions and also offer reduced fees

Example of not getting training: we had a chap last year who came to our group and after one session declared that it wasn't for him. Shortly after we discovered that he had put himself in for test and guess what, he failed. The examiner said that he was potentially a good driver but it was clear from his lack of a system, observation and anticipation, that he had not had any training /guidance.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”