Books on race driving techniques

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
WojtekS

Books on race driving techniques

Postby WojtekS » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:52 am

Hello,

Can you recommend any valuable books on race driving techniques? There is quite of lot of it available for purchase on the internet but I am sure there are people here who have read such books and could recommend the ones that are worth reading. For example, I have come across a series of Ross Bentley books and they seem to make quite a lot of sense. What do you think about it? There is also an old Jackie Stewart book, and an Ayrton Senna book, whose prices are ridiculous though (or maybe it is worth that much, I don't know?), and a ton of other books.

I am looking for books like that only to broaden my knowledge or perhaps understand vehicle dynamics a little bit better. I am not planning a career in racing. I also believe that I understand all the basics such as what under- or oversteer is, so I am interested in something a bit more advanced that that.

Any suggestions on what is worth buying?

Cheers.
Best regards from Poland

Adamxck

Re: Books on race driving techniques

Postby Adamxck » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:43 pm

I had Ross Bentley recommended to me by an instructor at the Porsche centre at Silverstone.
He said it was a good starting point as it covers all of the basics and is a good gateway to more in depth books on specific topics.

I dont get to read it until Christmas so cant comment on it personally.
Adam.

chriskay

Postby chriskay » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:41 pm

"Bob Bondurant on High Performance Driving". Available on Amazon at reasonable cost.
Carpe diem

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:24 pm

If you're interested about vehicle dynamics from a driver's viewpoint then 'Drive to Win' by Carroll Smith is about the best out there. And I don't disagree with most of his points. He also had a useful career, starting off with Carroll Shelby and the Le Mans program before winning in most other categories of racers.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:17 pm

Both Bentley's and Smith's books are good, but a lot of the advice to be adhered is not in driving technique per se, but about race driving as a profession and competitive sport.

As for driving advice, some modern racing philosophy goes beyond what appears in those books, so I'd look for coaching, or at least the written or recorded word, from more up-to-date professionals.

Ross Bentley et al had a chance to review their advice in light of more updated racing wisdom in their online "Weekly Speed Secrets" edition, so I'd look into that.

WojtekS

Postby WojtekS » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
Best regards from Poland

RenesisEvo

Postby RenesisEvo » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:29 pm

In addition to those suggested, I would also suggest 'Race & Trackday Driving Techniques' by David Hornsey. More aimed at the track day beginner but goes onto approaching racing. Very useful UK circuit guides included. Can be a bit wordy and light on explanation/diagrams.

WhoseGeneration

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Looking through my bookshelves has made me realise how old I am but here's some more from the past but which might provide some useful information.

"How to reach the top as a competition driver" by Stuart Turner and John Taylor.

The next are about rally driving but worth a read.

"Stage by stage" Rallying with Russell Brookes.
"Rallying" by Tony Mason and, again, Stuart Turner.

WojtekS

Postby WojtekS » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:31 pm

Thanks
Best regards from Poland

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”