How does weather change your driving?

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
akirk

How does weather change your driving?

Postby akirk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:57 pm

I had an interesting momentary observation over the weekend, as a passenger with a friend driving (his driving was fine) - we were following a mid-size 4x4 which due to the rain / wind / cold / time of year / time of day / insert excuse was driving along the road (open NSL single-carriageway) at about 35-40mph - there was a nice stretch on which we could have overtaken and given normal circumstances, might have done - when the 4x4 in front suddenly swerved to the right, completely into the opposite carriageway, to avoid a small puddle (think - depth where your feet would have remained dry in flip-flops!)

there was no logic, no warning, they had gone through other water earlier - but a good example of needing to be aware of any eventuality...

Alasdair

Triquet

Re: How does weather change your driving?

Postby Triquet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:12 am

When the weather is really bad, many drivers stare straight ahead ... as Bill Bryson said "like piloting a light aircraft through a thunderstorm" ... and effectively have tunnel vision. They don't see anybody else. I was trundling back home in bad weather the other day and came up on a huge log jam on a three lane motorway caused by a tunnel vision expert progressing slowly (no more than 40) in the middle lane, totally oblivious of his/her surroundings. :mrgreen:

sped691

Postby sped691 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:08 pm

I can only guess that perhaps they must have perceived the small puddle as one much larger or suspected it was consealing a pothole. As you say is a good example of always having to expect the unexpected.

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:40 pm

An overreaction from what I read, surely moving over slightly maybe straddling the centre line markings would of be fine. If it was safe for the driver to do that of course.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Maybe they just dropped their costa latte into their lap which put them off their text message?....

Personally? I hope I do what everyone does which is adapt to the conditions - be it, damp, visibility, temperature, wind. I actually don't think I concentrate any differently in bad driving conditions to good driving conditions, but good conditions driving is probably less hard on the brain.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:17 pm

I don't think weather changes my driving style markedly, but when it's colder, I rev the engine more in the first few miles of any journey to encourage it to warm up.

But apart from that, I just drive to the conditions.

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:41 pm

On my bike I put thicker gloves on and wrap up warm and dry, freezing cold tends to make you lose concentration. I ride to the conditions and visibility through my mud spattered visor. When it's wet or cold (or both) just ride more smoothly and do everything expecting less grip. This is through tyre temperature as well as surface conditions.

In my car I usually keep the TC fully on, although not always. In normal conditions it is off or MD mode. As with the bike I look at tyre temps and grip levels. Michelin PSS do not like temps below 6 or 7 degrees. Much wheel spin to be had if throttle application isn't gentle. It's not difficult to break traction with the twin turbo set up which has loads of torque from 1500 revs. In snow I'd rather one of the bikes!

titian

Postby titian » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:05 am

Can't remember where I read this one but it makes you think - consider that every puddle conceals a mine shaft - that ought to keep you away from them :o

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:18 am

Adam.

Revian

Postby Revian » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:29 am

It's a good question. I'm more cautious of others around urban areas when it's raining/windy. I'm convinced and have been for years, that when its like this that many people rush their driving as if the car might get wet! Observation and carefulness seem to drain away.
Ian

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”