Roundabout indicating

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
waremark
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 am

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby waremark » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:01 am

In any test I would do it pedantically correctly. That means not touching the paint, not signalling right, and being prepared to yield if another road user infringes my priority (whether from behind or from 9 o clock).

Let me offer another wrinkle. If at a mini roundabout the first exit is the one at 12 o clock, I intend to take that exit, and there is a vehicle approaching from 12 o clock, I would give a left signal on approach. You could see this as an early breakaway signal (nice expression, I had not heard it before), the purpose is to communicate to the driver approaching the mini roundabout from 12 o clock that he can proceed without conflict between us.

Gareth
Posts: 576
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:44 pm
Location: Berkshire
Contact:

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby Gareth » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:17 am

waremark wrote:If at a mini roundabout the first exit is the one at 12 o clock, I intend to take that exit, and there is a vehicle approaching from 12 o clock, I would give a left signal on approach.

I do this; it seems courteous.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

User avatar
Strangely Brown
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm
Location: Sussex

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:33 am

There is a mini roundabout precisely like that which I use very often. I do exactly that too.

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:42 pm

martine wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:...and thus, it shouldn't be an offence to go over the white paint.

...may be not, but it is*.




*unless you're driving a large vehicle incapable of avoiding the white circle

What's the definition of a large vehicle?

Anything above a 1960's Mini? :mrgreen:

Having said that, I've noticed that being pedantic and avoiding the white paint can result in conflict where the usual expectation differs from the advice given in the HC.

For instance, my family go to Wales fairly often, and we encounter this roundabout on our journey there. If you go around the white paint, you're more than likely going to end up with someone attempting to go past you, because the roundabout is so ridiculously offset that nobody goes around it, they just drive straight over it. Therefore, following the HC can land you with a conflict at that particular roundabout.

Also, I've been told by my parents that there's a mini-roundabout in Westcliff-on-Sea in Essex which is literally the size of a dinner plate, and it's painted in such a position that it doesn't matter where you approach it from, and what you do, you have to drive over it, because the junction it's painted on is incredibly tight, and there just isn't the width around the edge of the roundabout to accommodate a car, let alone a 60's Mini.

Gareth wrote:
waremark wrote:If at a mini roundabout the first exit is the one at 12 o clock, I intend to take that exit, and there is a vehicle approaching from 12 o clock, I would give a left signal on approach.

I do this; it seems courteous.

I do this too.

chriskay
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Shrewsbury

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby chriskay » Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:06 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
For instance, my family go to Wales fairly often, and we encounter this roundabout on our journey there. If you go around the white paint, you're more than likely going to end up with someone attempting to go past you, because the roundabout is so ridiculously offset that nobody goes around it, they just drive straight over it. Therefore, following the HC can land you with a conflict at that particular roundabout.


Ah, we specialise in these in Shropshire. Here's one in Shrewsbury.

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/str ... nsor=false
Carpe diem

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:18 pm

chriskay wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:
For instance, my family go to Wales fairly often, and we encounter this roundabout on our journey there. If you go around the white paint, you're more than likely going to end up with someone attempting to go past you, because the roundabout is so ridiculously offset that nobody goes around it, they just drive straight over it. Therefore, following the HC can land you with a conflict at that particular roundabout.


Ah, we specialise in these in Shropshire. Here's one in Shrewsbury.

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/str ... nsor=false

I do often wonder what's going through the heads of people who design mini-roundabouts in such a way they've got 2 lanes all the way around... :lol:

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby akirk » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:08 pm

And no-one yet has mentioned the magic roundabout with 5 mini roundabouts - strategy is simply big car and drive hard and fast across any in your way and others give way... If you followed the HC you would never make any progress...

Ultimately, being confident and deliberate in your positioning... And signalling correctly... And being prepared for others to cut you up... And life should be good...

Alasdair

TheInsanity1234
Posts: 498
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:14 am

akirk wrote:And no-one yet has mentioned the magic roundabout with 5 mini roundabouts - strategy is simply big car and drive hard and fast across any in your way and others give way... If you followed the HC you would never make any progress...

Ultimately, being confident and deliberate in your positioning... And signalling correctly... And being prepared for others to cut you up... And life should be good...

Alasdair

I love the Magic Roundabout. It's a wonderful challenge to drive around it...

And it's even more enjoyable in the dead of the night when nobody can get in your way :lol:

waremark
Posts: 586
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:23 am

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby waremark » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:36 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:
akirk wrote:And no-one yet has mentioned the magic roundabout with 5 mini roundabouts - strategy is simply big car and drive hard and fast across any in your way and others give way... If you followed the HC you would never make any progress...

Ultimately, being confident and deliberate in your positioning... And signalling correctly... And being prepared for others to cut you up... And life should be good...

Alasdair

I love the Magic Roundabout. It's a wonderful challenge to drive around it...

And it's even more enjoyable in the dead of the night when nobody can get in your way :lol:

Hemel Hempstead or Swindon?

User avatar
akirk
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:58 pm
Location: Cotswolds

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby akirk » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Hemel is okay, but the real one is definitely Swindon!
Alasdair


Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests