Roundabout indicating

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
StressedDave

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby StressedDave » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:02 am

chriskay wrote:
StressedDave wrote: Confusion is often your friend for paralysing another driver and stopping them interfering with your intentions.

When I was driving a Dormobile for Shell in the City and West End in 1960, a seasoned London driver gave me this advice "Never catch the eye of a taxi driver: if you do, he knows you've seen him and he'll cut you up".

And, by the same method, when one wants to be let out into traffic, fixing someone with eye contact (it doesn't matter if they're not looking at you, they will be soon as they catch the stare in their peripheral vision - good old-fashioned hind brain in action there) almost always does the trick.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 am

So you advise them in direct contradiction to the Highway Code advice then?

Highway code rule 186 wrote:
Rule 186
Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

No wonder there's confusion! For some time I've been frustrated by the propensity of ADIs to teach this approach, since it not only contradicts the HC advice, but is totally meaningless and annoying to drivers who have read the Highway Code, and were taught according to its principles. It seems we now have two standards, the official one, and the independent one, and on the road, nobody knows which scheme a driver is using.

I realise the HC says "should not need to" but I don't see that as an invitation to give whatever signal you feel like!
Nick

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:19 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:we now have two standards, the official one, and the independent one, and on the road, nobody knows which scheme a driver is using.

Well, at least that matches the approach to speed limits, traffic lights and mobile phone use :roll: :cry:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:44 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:So you advise them in direct contradiction to the Highway Code advice then?

[quote snipped]

No wonder there's confusion! For some time I've been frustrated by the propensity of ADIs to teach this approach, since it not only contradicts the HC advice, but is totally meaningless and annoying to drivers who have read the Highway Code, and were taught according to its principles. It seems we now have two standards, the official one, and the independent one, and on the road, nobody knows which scheme a driver is using.

I realise the HC says "should not need to" but I don't see that as an invitation to give whatever signal you feel like!

Quite so, and from the use of the word "associates" I infer that he is teaching this as part of an IAM course? </shakes head in disbelief>

If signals are to be meaningful then every signal must carry the same meaning for all. That meaning is defined in the HC. Whether it be signals at roundabouts, headlamp flashes, hand signals (or gestures), whatever, it is both pointless and confusing to just make up your own and then blindly assume that anyone who sees it will know what was running through your mind at that particular instance. :roll:

titian

Postby titian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Post by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:11 am
So you advise them in direct contradiction to the Highway Code advice then?

Highway code rule 186 wrote:

Rule 186
Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
you should not normally need to signal on approach
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

Perhaps you didn't notice that I was specifically referring to MINI ROUNDABOUTS, the kind that have sprung up in many urban locations where previously there may have been a cross road. The road space is often very limited and more so when a dolop of white paint is on the road at the intersection - which we are advised not to drive over in the HC.

I agree with your quotation from the highway code which I adhere to, in general, when negotiating "normal" roundabouts, those that were planned for when the road was constructed or in situations where the road has been modified to accommodate them, quite a different situation (toys back in the pram time :lol: )

So far as signals are concerned, the AD ought to signal when any other road user will benefit from it. If no one will benefit, don't signal. However if the situation should change and a signal would benefit another road user, give the appropriate signal under the changed circumstances. DO NOT automatically signal at every roundabout, turning etc. Do not travel alongside another vehicle on a roundabout, be either ahead or behind them remaining alert to the possibility of them entering your safety zones. Plan carefully when approaching your break-way point, including a shoulder glance of confirmation.

For those drivers who run straight over the white paint of a mini roundabout, from entering at 6 and leaving at 12, in contravention of what the HC says are showing by their vehicle positioning that they are not turning at 9, albeit illegally by driving over the paint.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:08 pm

If signalling is wrong...
driving over the white paint is wrong...
to do what is correct, can cause confusion...

I would choose to drive over the white paint... that will be the most obvious in terms of where you are going - to signal right will also confuse and stop a driver coming the opposite way (12 to 6) and therefore you have given out mis-information

Alasdair

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Two Wongs don't make a white, as the old joke says. I agree with Alasdair - I'd rather drive over (some of) the white paint, rather than give a wrong signal deliberately to confuse. We have such mini roundabouts within 300 yards of my house, but I've never found it necessary to give misleading signals, just be prepared for the unexpected (although those turn right in front of you on completely the wrong side of the paint can still give you a bit of a shock! :shock: ).
Nick

titian

Postby titian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Alasdair said:-
I would choose to drive over the white paint... that will be the most obvious in terms of where you are going - to signal right will also confuse and stop a driver coming the opposite way (12 to 6) and therefore you have given out mis-information

So might I - it just depends as we say, to clarify the right signal is two or three flashes whilst the paused driver waiting to pull out is looking in my direction; again, to confirm that I'm NOT TURNING LEFT. Once past that entry I may give a breakaway left signal if there is someone waiting to enter the RAB.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner said_-
I'd rather drive over (some of) the white paint, rather than deliberately give a wrong signal deliberately to confuse.

It is not a signal given deliberately to confuse. Maybe you have been lucky -so far. i had a situation where the white van man saw my wheels deviating to left in an attempt to drive around the paint, assumed I was taking the first exit and drew out leaving me, yes, inches to stop in. That incident brought me around to thinking that there must be someway to lessen the danger under those circumstances, my answer was to confirm that I was not turning left by giving two or three flashes of my indicator to the right. Simples!

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:33 pm

I have not "been lucky so far". I've anticipated what may happen and acted accordingly (although as I said I had a famous occasion when someone decided to turn right in front of me as I entered the RA, by crossing the wrong side of the circle). I stand by my statement that your signal is wrong, and given to confuse. There is no signal in the Highway Code for "Not turning left". You are telling those watching that you intend to turn right. "Simples!" (sic). Then you say you may put on a left signal later. So the person watching you from 12 o'clock has seen you put on a right signal, then move to the left, then cancel the right signal and put a left one on. If I was that person I'd be staying exactly where I was until you were well out of the way, since to a bystander, it looks as if you don't know where you're going.

To be fair this particular situation is discussed regularly on fora and in AD groups, and I'm not sure there is a single satisfactory solution. I admit I didn't spot that you were talking specifically about mini roundabouts in your original post, but I'm still not a fan of your method.
Nick

titian

Postby titian » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner:-
If I was that person I'd be staying exactly where I was until you were well out of the way

As I said earlier - job done, that's exactly where I want you to be :D

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”