Roundabout indicating

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:46 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote: T&Cs apply: some riders use throttle lock screws, some bikes have foot-operated linked brakes, some bikes slow dramatically with the throttle closed - enough to catch out following drivers.

If a particular bike slows too much on throttle alone, there is always the option to declutch and use a little rear brake. Blending in some brakes is always a good idea in any case as that turns the brake light on (probably more useful than the arm signal).


Indeed - I just want to type & post a massive essay - the T&Cs were to counter anticipated comments ;)
My own views. For better or worse :)

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1359
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Horse wrote:Indeed - I just want to type & post a massive essay - the T&Cs were to counter anticipated comments ;)

Image It's important to keep the 4 wheelers informed of all things 2 wheeled :)
Mike Roberts

User avatar
superplum
Posts: 67
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: Above Suffolk

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby superplum » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: It's important to keep the 4 wheelers informed of all things 2 wheeled :)


Aaah, that's why the yoof riding a scooter (L plates) pulled up between me and a car alongide me at a busy two-lane junction. Coudn't see any indication of anything (too close) but noticed a flashing green light on his "dashboard". OK, I thought, stay back he may be a pr4t and turn left. Sure enough as the lights changed to green, he shot forward and turned left across the front of me. What happened to arm signals?

:o

fungus
Posts: 439
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:26 pm
Location: Dorset

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby fungus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 pm

crr003 wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
fungus wrote:
martine wrote:I don't know any ADI's who would teach this. If a learner were to do it on test, it would attract a fault.


Yes, and probably a test fail. That is a misleading signal.

No matter how much ye ADIs do protest, it's apparent from the comments that there is a community of thy brethren out there still teaching this nonsense, even if ye be not among them.

Can't argue with logic like that! Someone's seen a learner car do something they don't understand/approve of, so there are bad ADIs teaching.
Reminds me of the Python scene:
http://lexx.thebruce.net/poem/monty.html

Was the vehicle being used by the ADI's partner to get a bottle of milk?
Was the vehicle being used by a pupil on a mock/real test?
What was the layout of the R/A? Some ADIs teach the 12 o'clock "rule" so a 1 pm exit would be treated as a right turn (right signal), whereas the locals treat it as straight ahead (no signal).


This is an example where, although I generally teach the 12 o' clock rule, I would not signal right when continuing NE on the B3068 as it is common for drivers to U turn on this roundabout. In fact, in many similar situations I would not signal right when the ahead road is so little past 12 o' clock. Also, on this roundabout the ahead lane is the right hand lane and your position and speed makes your intention very obvious once you enter the roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.74272 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Here are another two roundabouts where there are only two exits with the ahead roads are approximately 12 o' clock. (Scroll NE from the first roundabout a short distance to the next where the A351 Meets the B3075). The approach to both these roundabouts when traveling N, NE on the A351 have two approach lanes. I personally use a right hand lane approach, but may use the left hand lane to go ahead even though there is no road to the right.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.69872 ... 062318,16z

Nigel.

User avatar
GTR1400MAN
Posts: 1359
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:06 pm

fungus wrote:This is an example where, although I generally teach the 12 o' clock rule, I would not signal right when continuing NE on the B3068 as it is common for drivers to U turn on this roundabout. In fact, in many similar situations I would not signal right when the ahead road is so little past 12 o' clock. Also, on this roundabout the ahead lane is the right hand lane and your position and speed makes your intention very obvious once you enter the roundabout.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.74272 ... a=!3m1!1e3

The road paint concurs with you. The right hand lane is marked as straight ahead. Don't think I'd signal right there either (though I'd have to see it in real life, not just Google Car's distorted goldfish bowl view).

fungus wrote:Here are another two roundabouts where there are only two exits with the ahead roads are approximately 12 o' clock. (Scroll NE from the first roundabout a short distance to the next where the A351 Meets the B3075). The approach to both these roundabouts when traveling N, NE on the A351 have two approach lanes. I personally use a right hand lane approach, but may use the left hand lane to go ahead even though there is no road to the right.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.69872 ... 062318,16z

Hmmm, it's just that sort of crap (sorry, 'poorly thought out') design, with lack of lane designation signs, that leads to vehicles side swiping each other. Both lanes could be correct, but if you are not local how the hell are you supposed to decide? (I'd pick the right hand one most times in this situation, being mindful of anything in the left lane that may attempt to go 'right').
Mike Roberts

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby Horse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:24 am

superplum wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote: It's important to keep the 4 wheelers informed of all things 2 wheeled :)

What happened to arm signals?


Still used by safety-conscious riders :)

Image
My own views. For better or worse :)

sussex2
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby sussex2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:34 am

There are times when it is better to keep people wondering, rather than confuse them.

User avatar
Horse
Posts: 2077
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 am

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby Horse » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:27 am

sussex2 wrote:There are times when it is better to keep people wondering, rather than confuse them.


Q "Why didn't you signal????"

A. "There isn't a signal for what I wanted to do!"
My own views. For better or worse :)

User avatar
AndyP
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 am
Location: Bath/Bristol

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby AndyP » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm

oooerrr missus
It is not WHAT you drive, BUT:-- the WAY that you drive it.
It is not HOW fast you drive, BUT:-- HOW you drive fast.

Cheers Andy

sussex2
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am

Re: Roundabout indicating

Postby sussex2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:There are times when it is better to keep people wondering, rather than confuse them.


Q "Why didn't you signal????"

A. "There isn't a signal for what I wanted to do!"


What I meant is that any signal given must be completely clear, and timed appropriately.
The complexity of some junctions means that it is difficult to give a really clear signal. Or, worse, where a signal could be misconstrued.
It may be better to clear the junction in a nippy fashion and be on your way.


Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests