Reg's Youtube Channel

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
R_U_LOCAL

Reg's Youtube Channel

Postby R_U_LOCAL » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:04 pm

I've been busy with work and a holiday over the last few weeks, but I've bought some new video equipment with a view to starting a new Youtube channel.

The weather was nice last weekend so I went out for a drive and filmed some footage. I spent today climbing the very steep learning curve of video editing and my first full Youtube video - an introduction and a piece on smooth braking technique - is now on line here:

http://youtu.be/PkE0q1s-lng

I'm not entirely happy with it - the camera mount needs a little more work and I'm not 100% comfortable on film yet, but you've got to start somewhere.

Constructive criticism will be welcomed!
Reg Local - author of "Advanced & Performance Driving" http://tinyurl.com/qbxwocx

Keithrm

Re: Reg's Youtube Channel

Postby Keithrm » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:29 pm

I have replied...

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am

awesome - will look forward to seeing this develop...

Alasdair

Revian

Postby Revian » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks Reg... Good watch.

Notwithstanding possible visual overload the rates of deceleration would be practically helpful and interesting. It'd need to be the speedo for some of us dummies not some g indicator..... Though there's an obvious potential problem if the limits are exceeded and you might want to stay out of that quagmire...

Thanks again....
Ian

Carbon Based

Postby Carbon Based » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 pm

Good use of a roll of gaffer tape and interesting overall.

As for mounting, what are you currently using? I'm sure you are aware that the bit of wobble is likely due to something flexing (headrest padding perhaps?)- I've had good success with suction cups onto the windscreen but that view means we don't see your hands on the wheel. Could you try the passenger window just behind you? Or perhaps fit a roll cage just for filming ;)

If you want a bit more versatility than the standard GoPro mounts try http://www.ram-mount.co.uk

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Great video! Lot's of things to take from it over and above braking - Looking forward to more.

Did you try any software stabilisation? Obviously better to try and fix it on camera, but a lot of editing packages have stabilisation tools. It needs to zoom in a little bit so it can shift and twist the image to counter act the movement but could be worth experimenting. I think youtube has built in stabilisation tool when you upload but not sure how much control it offers over it.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:11 am

Revian wrote:Thanks Reg... Good watch.

Notwithstanding possible visual overload the rates of deceleration would be practically helpful and interesting. It'd need to be the speedo for some of us dummies not some g indicator..... Though there's an obvious potential problem if the limits are exceeded and you might want to stay out of that quagmire...

Thanks again....

I've done the whole data-logging thing in the past with full display of acceleration, braking (including when the brake light is on), cornering accelerations, gear and engine speed. It's a great tool, but as you've quite rightly pointed out, sufficiently potentially illegal that it's of little use in a wider setting. It's also a bit of a pain as you have to sync data with video afterward, which takes a bit of time...

Here - have some fun:

and

and
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:19 am

https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/black-autop ... m-to-370cm

Not intended specifically for use in cars - despite the name - but you need one of these wedged betwixt floor and roof to carry the camera.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 am

The same thing is used for the highly accurate vehicle dynamics logging kit... Mind you the advent of serious microcontroller horsepower is changing that requirement, particularly since even my kit is capable of measuring engine RPM from the minor variations in panel vibration due to the imbalances in the engine operation.

Note to self - must do some on-chip high pass filtering to pull that out as a specific channel.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Revian

Postby Revian » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:05 am

StressedDave wrote:...
Here - have some fun:

and

and

Fab Dave...I'llenjoy. Trouble is I get so absorbed I keep trying to look in rear view mirrors... :D
Ian

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”