Braking

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Horse

Re: Braking

Postby Horse » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Hopefully not a tangent leading into the hedgerows . . . ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:23 pm

This thread has been genuinely very interesting for me.

It turns out, what I've been defining as the "Limit Point" is what's being defined as the "Surprise Horizon"...

Although when it's a bend with a good cross-view, then I generally plan to stop at the furthest point I can see on the tarmac...

Very interesting indeed. I didn't think about the side turnings as having a surprise horizon. Although I do try to allow for the possibility of a car suddenly appearing out of a side turning, but never considered it as a surprise horizon situation...

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:28 pm

Back on to the braking thing:

I'm still mystified as to how to judge when to brake and by how much. In order to illustrate my issue, I will use a rather extreme example: say I'm driving at 80mph on a very long straight, and I absolutely must to come to almost a complete stop at a precise location (say for a 100 degree left turn), which I can see from quite far away. No one is behind, in front, or to the sides, perfect visibility.

My issue is: when do I decide to slow down?

It's important to realise that on a race track, that would be easy. You just find the latest possible point and everything is decided by the effectiveness of your braking technique. Whereas on the road, you need to account for smoothness and add a safety margin, etc.

Typically, I find that either I brake accurately and hard but not smoothly, or I brake smoothly but too early. And I don't know how to work on it.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:48 pm

The answers to your questions have to come from within you.

Stop over analysing. Picture what you want and let it happen. In time feel and judgment become second nature. At the moment you are going through a phase of change. This brings uncertainty and in driving it is my experience that during this change timing goes up the shoot. Happens to all and although it is uncomfortable, as an instructor, I welcome it as confirmation that the old is breaking down to make room for the new. Change is taking place. Trust me persevere and it will dawn on you soon that you have come through this a better and wiser driver.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:43 pm

Pick a braking pressure you want. Decide whether you can stop or not in the available distance. Just as the answer becomes 'No' start braking. It is, absolutely, not rocket science.
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

R_U_LOCAL

Postby R_U_LOCAL » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:35 am

StressedDave wrote:It is, absolutely, not rocket science.

Whilst taking part in negotiations with an unnamed trade body this week, I was told by a particularly militant representative that the issue we were trying to settle "is not rocking horse science".

I agreed.
Reg Local - author of "Advanced & Performance Driving" http://tinyurl.com/qbxwocx

Revian

Postby Revian » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm sometimes your Surprise Horizon as I walk on country roads where there's no footpath. I may be facing the oncoming traffic, which is hugging the kerb on a bend. I'll be keeping a foot of or two out from the kerb in the hope that you'll see me early and that I'll have the option of stepping back in promptly if you haven't been looking properly; can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear and/or you have no manoeuvring space.

I may well try to cross the road before really tight bends so that my visibility is higher to cars coming from behind... But you may be driving too quickly for me to cross safely.

By and large a lot of drivers are surprised when there's no footway, particularly in an 'outdoor pursuits region', that pedestrians have to use the road.

10 to 1 there will be high bushes or hedges to totally blind the bend.
Ian

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:20 pm

Revian wrote:I'm sometimes your Surprise Horizon as I walk on country roads where there's no footpath. I may be facing the oncoming traffic, which is hugging the kerb on a bend. I'll be keeping a foot of or two out from the kerb in the hope that you'll see me early and that I'll have the option of stepping back in promptly if you haven't been looking properly; can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear and/or you have no manoeuvring space.

I may well try to cross the road before really tight bends so that my visibility is higher to cars coming from behind... But you may be driving too quickly for me to cross safely.

By and large a lot of drivers are surprised when there's no footway, particularly in an 'outdoor pursuits region', that pedestrians have to use the road.

10 to 1 there will be high bushes or hedges to totally blind the bend.

Yeah, walking on footpathless country roads can be very dodgy; and I do it quite a bit.

By 'eck the number of times I've been knocked down and killed doesn't bear thinking about...but you get used to it. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:40 pm

Walked up here for a few hundred yards the weekend before last on a misty Sunday morning. Faced oncoming traffic as advised, but it was not fun at all! Sometimes rules should be broken.
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Walked up here for a few hundred yards the weekend before last on a misty Sunday morning. Faced oncoming traffic as advised, but it was not fun at all! Sometimes rules should be broken.

Hddge or verge side? Even if the 'wrong' side, and even if overgrown with brambles, the verge side gives you an escape route.

When working at the roadside roadside its the first thing I look for when getting out of a vehicle.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”