Fog

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Gareth

Re: Fog

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:05 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:but two headlight-strength bulbs nearer to the ground are not permitted

I think two dipped beam lights on each side is permitted, provided they are correctly marked for that function.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Rick448

Postby Rick448 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:08 pm

I used my motorcycle for work today and visibility was pretty poor. I went a different way rather than my normal back road route as I'd not want to meet a car on some of the Z bends. It was interesting to see that some drivers were doing about 20mph and others Tomkins on at a fair lick. I could safely ride at between 40 and 50 and was trying to make sure I wasn't hit from behind as rear fogs on bikes are not yet available. We'll certainly not on any of mine! The worst part was trying to maintain vision with my visor misting both inside and out.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Could you use a bicycle rear light, they certainly seem powerful enough :) A

gannet

Postby gannet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:53 am

akirk wrote:Could you use a bicycle rear light, they certainly seem powerful enough :) A

not if it flashes - cyclists are the only ones permitted to use flashing lights.

My fairy lights on the front of my car are not on when headlights, and thus fog lights are on - they are deemed to bright to be used at night!

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:23 am

I thought that bicycle lights are only type approved under EU regulations based ontheir constant light - which is why all bike lights that flash should have a constant mode as well... yes they are allowed to flash, but that is not the mode for approval...

therefore you could use one with it on constantly...

Alasdair

gannet

Postby gannet » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:36 am

akirk wrote:I thought that bicycle lights are only type approved under EU regulations based ontheir constant light - which is why all bike lights that flash should have a constant mode as well... yes they are allowed to flash, but that is not the mode for approval...

therefore you could use one with it on constantly...

Alasdair

It is a little more complex than that...

not many bike lights are actually approved legally, you have to spend a fortune on mainly German lights to get decent approved lights.

have a read...

my lights technically don't conform, hey ho...

they do emit a constant beam - with a background pulse from the same unit, rather effective, while not dazzling I find.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:28 pm

I've driven in the lighter sessions of fog, and, I consider it to be unpleasant. Simply because during the day time, dipped lights are plenty bright enough to penetrate the fog for oncoming drivers, and the rear lights are also bright enough too.

At night, I habitually drive with my main-beam on, regardless of how much ambient lighting there is, unless there's someone that's going to be dazzled by my lights. This meant that driving in fog at night was an awful experience, as the dipped beam didn't light up what's up ahead, and the main beam was just reflected off the fog. There was one point where the fog was so dense even the dipped beam was reflecting off the fog, and that was the point I made a very interesting discovery: you can turn your fog lights on without needing the dipped beam on (i.e, you can have fogs+sidelights, no dipped lights). That was a useful discovery for that minute or so when the fog was that thick.

onlinegenie

Postby onlinegenie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:49 am

Adamxck wrote:I started counting the oncomers and there were 23 with headlights, 37! With no lights and 12 with front/rear fogs.
(snip)

Interestingly, I have automatic lights on my car but they didnt turn on. I had to override the system. Perhaps this was part of the reason. Though not an excuse.

Guilty, your honour.

I had a day's work on Monday (I'm retired, but do occasional work as a television extra). I got into the car to drive home and was pleased to see that the lights turned themselves on. Driving on the motorway, I overtook a slower car and moved in in front of him. When he flashed his lights at me I thought he was accusing me of cutting in (which I hadn't). I then noticed that the lights had turned themselves off.

Lesson learned - I will never again rely on the automatic headlights in fog.
Mark Syder (like the drink only not spelled the same way)

onlinegenie

Postby onlinegenie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:51 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:There was one point where the fog was so dense even the dipped beam was reflecting off the fog, and that was the point I made a very interesting discovery: you can turn your fog lights on without needing the dipped beam on (i.e, you can have fogs+sidelights, no dipped lights). That was a useful discovery for that minute or so when the fog was that thick.

You didn't know that? Most drivers of your age use fog lights and sidelights as a matter of course, even in daylight!
Mark Syder (like the drink only not spelled the same way)

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:16 pm

onlinegenie wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:There was one point where the fog was so dense even the dipped beam was reflecting off the fog, and that was the point I made a very interesting discovery: you can turn your fog lights on without needing the dipped beam on (i.e, you can have fogs+sidelights, no dipped lights). That was a useful discovery for that minute or so when the fog was that thick.

You didn't know that? Most drivers of your age use fog lights and sidelights as a matter of course, even in daylight!

No.

I'm not one of the "most drivers my age", ta very much.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”