Fog

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Adamxck

Fog

Postby Adamxck » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Ive just been out for a lunchtime drive in the fog to experiment with limit points and overtakes in limited vision. I gave up on trying overtakes very quickly given the terrible visability and after seeing so many cars without headlights, let alone foglights on!

I started counting the oncomers and there were 23 with headlights, 37! With no lights and 12 with front/rear fogs.

This was on country roads in heavy fog. I know the general driving public are indifferent about driving, but i certainly expect them to put their headlights on at the very least.

Interestingly, I have automatic lights on my car but they didnt turn on. I had to override the system. Perhaps this was part of the reason. Though not an excuse.
Adam.

martine

Re: Fog

Postby martine » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:42 pm

Yes the auto headlights work on light level not visibility. I sometimes wear sunglasses in fog as it can be very bright.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:45 pm

So higher than 50% of the sample with no lights at all. That's pretty poor! :(

ChristianAB

Postby ChristianAB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:41 pm

I went driving as well in the country, and weirdly enjoyed the fog. The visibility was terrible, but it forced me scan twice as hard as I normally do to find clues, ANY clues, as to where the road was going. Hopefully my eyes will remember the exercise.
And yeah, I only overtook one car, who was doing 25 in a 40, during a brief spell with slightly lighter fog, otherwise, I just couldn't see far enough. If anything, the lights from oncoming cars helped me to ascertain where the road was going.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:09 pm

I found it very enjoyable too. Suddenly fast, sweeping bends became an exercise in restraint until I was certain it was safe to accelerate away.

Like you, I found the cars who did manage to find some lights very helpful in helping me determin the severity and distance of upcoming corners.
Adam.

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 pm

A lot of people don't seem to have any problems having their rear fog lights on come the first sign of a 3m reduction in visibility and then leavng them on for the next 3 months!

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Or indeed front fogs on permanently, innit bruv.
Adam.

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Adamxck wrote:Or indeed front fogs on permanently, innit bruv.

I always ask them, "Foggy, Sir?"

I always get the same response of "eh"

"Clearly your memory is foggy of what the 'fog' lights are for! I will give you a clue, the answer is in the question"

"Ohhh, sorry"

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:27 pm

OTOH it's rather strange that nowadays you are allowed to drive along with very bright lights in the shape of a cock on the front of your car (or whatever Audi favour at the moment), but two headlight-strength bulbs nearer to the ground are not permitted. How long until the front of the car is just a huge light bar, within which it's impossible to distinguish the various functions?
Nick

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:40 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:OTOH it's rather strange that nowadays you are allowed to drive along with very bright lights in the shape of a cock on the front of your car (or whatever Audi favour at the moment), but two headlight-strength bulbs nearer to the ground are not permitted. How long until the front of the car is just a huge light bar, within which it's impossible to distinguish the various functions?

Not all Audi's are driven by idiots, actually on second thoughts :P

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”