Mirror, signal, manoeuvre...

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Revian

Mirror, signal, manoeuvre...

Postby Revian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:36 pm

To what extent, if at all, is it permissible to signal as a plea to be 'let out' into an overtaking lane? I'm thinking of those occasions where one can be terminally stuck behind something. It's probably more on a motorway than anywhere else. The alternative (if one is going to change lanes) of jumping out into a small gap I dislike and feel is dangerous... Don't say; 'Plan further ahead' as I'm not sure that's the universal fix. :D
Ian

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Mirror, signal, manoeuvre...

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:48 pm

Nothing wrong with it at all. Put the signal on, wait for a reaction, which could be one of many:

- nothing. Wait for the next gap.
- a headlamp flash. Treat cautiously and move out.
- a signal, followed by the car behind moving out to lane 3. Acknowledge gratefully and move out.

Sometimes there'll be an advanced driver behind and they'll be signalling and moving out either as you signal or before. Again, acknowledge (I just lift a hand in the side window) and take advantage.
Nick

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Interesting point. I have often thought that the purpose of signalling has changed over the years. I always thought that signalling was a statement of intent, but recently it seems to be "sod you I'm coming out NOW", with signalmanouevre being one action. Mmm.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:24 pm

No it's a 'sod you, I've already pulled out and then I'm turning it on' maneouvre
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

Adamxck

Postby Adamxck » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:08 pm

Down my ways its ....manoeuvre, beep, sweary fingers.

I do find occasionally that a car behind me in lane 2 will notice my signal and helpfully move to lane 3 to let me in. These occurrences are few and far between though.
Adam.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:02 pm

And even rarer, someone who sees you approaching a vehicle in lane 1 and WELL in advance moves out to lane 3 before you've began to signal / manouvere to lane 2. That always gets a thank you side on wave from me. :)

Revian

Postby Revian » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:28 pm

devonutopia wrote:And even rarer, someone who sees you approaching a vehicle in lane 1 and WELL in advance moves out to lane 3 before you've began to signal / manouvere to lane 2. That always gets a thank you side on wave from me. :)

You're welcome m'Lord... ;)
Ian

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”