Driving Shoes

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
jont-

Re: Driving Shoes

Postby jont- » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:23 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Various models of Puma trainer are often to be seen modelled on driving days although I've never got round to getting any.

They're also popular amongst lotus owners, but I never really got on with them (I've got quite wide feet, and the Puma fittings are all a bit narrow).

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Seen by many as "old man" shoes, I have a couple of pairs of Clark's "unstructured" loafers. They are remarkably comfortable, give great "feel" for driving and, unlike race boots, don't make you look like a nob when you're walking around wherever you have driven to. I also have a pair of Piloti driving shoes and some Merrell's that are little more than skins but neither get used very often.

My choice of footwear tends to be dictated by my choice of car and where I am going. e.g. A to A for fun in the Mazda is a different choice than to going to work.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:32 pm

gannet wrote:I use Adidas Kundo trainers - they seem to be discontinued now though :( They are narrow enough and thin soled.

I cannot wear flat soled shoes without orthotic insoles due to a lack of arch support - I have strange feet!

I have a pair of Adidas trainers which I bought recently which are quite thick soled - certainly notice the difference in pedal feel between those and my usual driving trainers.

I swear by Vasily Red insoles myself. Three months of serious plantar fascitis made me take notice.

As to the rest, I've been wearing the same pair of Sparco black race boots for nigh on 20 years. I have a red pair but they tick the knob box, the complete tit box and the who the f$ck does he think he is box to boot. They improve my feel (probably a self-delusion thing).
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

gannet

Postby gannet » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:44 pm

StressedDave wrote:
gannet wrote:I use Adidas Kundo trainers - they seem to be discontinued now though :( They are narrow enough and thin soled.

I cannot wear flat soled shoes without orthotic insoles due to a lack of arch support - I have strange feet!

I have a pair of Adidas trainers which I bought recently which are quite thick soled - certainly notice the difference in pedal feel between those and my usual driving trainers.

I swear by Vasily Red insoles myself. Three months of serious plantar fascitis made me take notice.

As to the rest, I've been wearing the same pair of Sparco black race boots for nigh on 20 years. I have a red pair but they tick the knob box, the complete tit box and the who the f$ck does he think he is box to boot. They improve my feel (probably a self-delusion thing).

presume you mean Vasyli Red??

it's morton's neuroma I suffer from - caused by a rare condition of flexible flat feet... also why you won't find me running anywhere for very long ;)

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:15 am

I do, it's just the fnigers smoetmes outsrpi my ablitiy to tpye correctly...
All posts are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License. Do what you like with it, just don't make money off it.

CautiousD

Postby CautiousD » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:31 am

An old pair of Timberland Earthkeeper boots, as the soles have worn to within a few mills of being holed and this allows a great deal of flexibility. they also provide excellent support and once I have convinced myself to pull over and enjoy the remote places I so often find myself in while out for a drive, they are great for impromptu foraging rambles.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:47 pm

Goodness me. I've been away for a few days and looks what's happened. :o

Driving shoes? You've got to be joking. :lol:

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:52 pm

StressedDave wrote: I have a red pair but they tick the knob box, the complete tit box and the who the f$ck does he think he is box to boot.

It sounds like you've found the perfect shoe. :mrgreen:

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:33 pm

The old Saab 900 (the red one with the rusty wheel arches) has a cable-operated clutch of such terminal stiffness that the best footwear is a pair of DM's or some stout workboots. It stops one from getting holes in the soles.

StressedDave

Postby StressedDave » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Silk wrote:
StressedDave wrote: I have a red pair but they tick the knob box, the complete tit box and the who the f$ck does he think he is box to boot.

It sounds like you've found the perfect shoe. :mrgreen:

I'm only keeping them warm until I can give them back to you...

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”