Use of Indicator for Overtaking

Topics relating to Advanced Driving in cars
Strangely Brown

Re: Use of Indicator for Overtaking

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:43 pm

Edmund Kean wrote:It must have been a wonderful experience for you both to be coached by John Lyon.

I too have spent time in a car with JL in the left seat. Wonderful experience? Opinions vary.

On a more general note I can't help feeling that you are massively overanalysing things and looking for absolutes where none exist. Every situation is different, every road is different every time you drive it and the answer to any question related to driving begins with the words, "It depends...".

I have no wish to kill the discussion, far from it, but what are you looking for?

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:32 pm

Edmund Kean wrote:It is my belief that having transitioned to the offside, I am still ‘intending’ to overtake and accordingly my indicator should be activated signalling and telegraphing as such. Only until I am safely alongside or passed the vehicle, does the status of intention change to that of overtaking - in other words the intention has been realised into a satisfactory action or manoeuvre and the indicator can now be cancelled.

I'm fairly sure I understand your point of view - your words clearly explain what you believe.

I should still like to better understand the thinking ...
  • from the time of crossing the line in moving out, to point of having passed, who benefits from the continued signalling?
  • in your opinion, is this how it should always be done?

As a result of this discussion I've been re-reading one of my copies of Roadcraft - the 2013 edition, 2016 printing. The chapter on overtaking makes it abundantly clear that, while the book provides general advice, overtaking technique is best learned under guidance in a moving vehicle.

Edmund Kean wrote:did you use the John Lyon procedure before your time in his company and if you didn't, do you remember how he explained it? By this I mean the supporting words to present the validity of cancelling the indicator before changing lanes.

When I think back, my parents taught me to drive, backed up by a small number of sessions with a local instructor. Neither they nor he taught me to overtake.

Many years later, I did the RoADAR course, (in the time of the blue book), but my tutor didn't provide practical guidance on overtaking, apart from passing parked vehicles, or wobbling cyclists.

So, before John Lyon, no practical guidance whatsoever. I don't think this is in any way uncommon; where would someone be taught, in a practical setting, how to overtake safely?

Some years after John Lyon, the IAM, same as RoADAR.

The single carriageway case is vastly different from the multi-lane dual carriageway.

For the latter, John was concerned about how long it is necessary to indicate such that other drivers see the flashing light, understand the meaning, and have considered how it might affect them. He reckoned a typical minimum of four seconds, but made it absolutely clear that I, as the driver, should look for reactions that show understanding.

He was also absolutely clear that I should not deviate from the middle of my lane while waiting for a reaction and, only then, move across to the adjacent lane, cancelling the indicator when the leading wheel crosses the line. To be clear, it's not cancelling then moving, it's moving and, part way through while still moving, cancelling. And, importantly, by holding the centre of the lane before moving, it's clear to other road users exactly what I'm doing.

This could apply for a return to the nearside, depending on the circumstances. For example, if I'm passing an HGV, I might start the return indicating while still passing, continuing beyond for at least the required distance, before moving across.

If I've put this badly, and it's in any way not clear, ask and I'll try to explain further.

For what it's worth, I often find in motorway driving that starting to indicate my intention to move out results in the following vehicle in that lane speeding up, making a nice space behind them I can use. Often enough I start indicating with that idea in mind.

Turning to single carriageway overtaking, John was extremely clear that the position of a car in the offside lane ought to be enough and, if the driver of the vehicle I intend to pass can't see it, there's precious little chance they will notice a small indicator on my offside.

Having moved out, he cautioned me strongly against moving up until I was completely sure it was safe to pass. Indeed, he made it abundantly clear that, after a slight close in following position, I should not move up while moving out. He bade me keep an eye on what was happening behind, to make sure the following vehicle didn't take away my safety return, saying it is better to abort the attempt and shut that down, rather than be caught out by having nowhere to go.

He was very big on not having nowhere to go.

John was also clear that, if there were no following vehicles, and it was patently safe to move out, then no indicating was required - no-one to indicate to. If there were following vehicles, and none were looking to overtake me, same situation.

The only time an indicator would be required would be if needing to negotiate with a following vehicle to see if they would allow me to go first. Signal, seek a reaction. It's not rocket science, after all.

There's something else. He was really big on planning. I should look for really good place to move out, so that I had a much better chance of converting the offside position into a successful overtake.

I suffered the ignominy of, under his despairing gaze, moving out and, taking so much time to assess, that the driver of the other more powerful car booted it and disappeared up the road ... only for me to catch it a short time later and be stuck behind it for some miles, having missed the perfect opportunity and alerted the other driver to my desire! John told me then that, being in a less powerful car, I should have kept my powder dry ...

Likewise, if I've not been entirely clear, ask ... but I'd still like answers to my questions, please.

Again, for what it's worth, I've paid for coaching by a few other retired Police driving instructors, both serving and civilian, all who taught at advanced level. So far the only aspect of my approach to overtaking that has been criticised is that sometimes I'm not as prepared as I should be, and potential opportunities have slipped away.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:10 pm

Gareth wrote: opportunities have slipped away.

Given the potential for severe consequences if it goes wrong, erring on the side of caution - Vs a hurried mistake - has to be better IMO.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Edmund Kean

Postby Edmund Kean » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:47 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:
Edmund Kean wrote:
On a more general note I can't help feeling that you are massively overanalysing things and looking for absolutes where none exist.

On the contrary, please refer to the final paragraph of my original post.

As a result of posing questions and counter arguments, the thread has been further enriched as we’ve a long post from Gareth to digest.

Edmund Kean

Postby Edmund Kean » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:25 pm

Gareth:
I should still like to better understand the thinking ...
  • from the time of crossing the line in moving out, to point of having passed, who benefits from the continued signalling?
  • in your opinion, is this how it should always be done?
[/quote]

Absolutely not, I also refer you to my original post.

For instance yesterday, I was driving along a road I know well. A turnpike road. I caught a Transit type van and followed in an extended following position until a long straight. At the first third of the straight, the road is narrow, about half width perhaps. There are also two places of residence on the nearside at this narrow section. With nothing behind me, I was able to straddle the white line system to keep a considerable view of the road ahead. As the road widened up ahead (about three quarter width) I moved to, distance wise, a following position but out on the offside. I paused in that positioned to be absolutely sure my intended overtaking manoeuvre was going to be safe. As I paused, I activated my indicator and a few seconds later, picked up the drive to pass the van. Not entirely textbook, but it was absolutely safe. I believe I communicated my clear intention to overtake with road position and, with one final confirmation of the when - the indicator being activated. I believe I communicated suitably and with courtesy to the van driver and I used the indicator to convey - it’s going to happen now.
Last edited by Edmund Kean on Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:43 pm

Edmund Kean wrote:I believe I communicated my clear intention to overtake with road position

As do I.

Edmund Kean wrote:with one final confirmation of the when - the indicator being activated. I believe I communicated suitably and with courtesy to the van driver.

Hmm, it would be interesting to be able to ask the generally disengaged drivers whether they noticed you indicating immediately before passing, what they thought it meant, and how they might imagine it could be useful to them.

I guess the other side of the coin is to ask what you think they are able to do with the 'information' you've conveyed. I mean, you've checked before deciding to pass that it's safe to do so, there's nowhere for them to go, no side turnings or entrances into which they might turn, or from which another vehicle might emerge. And there's no cyclists, pedestrians, potholes, or standing water, in the path of the van which might cause them to move out. So, it seems to me, all you are asking them to do is nothing other than they are already doing and were anyway going to be doing.

I am much more inclined to say thanks after the event unless they've been especially awkward, then I would be saying nothing and be just getting on with it.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:49 pm

Horse wrote:Given the potential for severe consequences if it goes wrong, erring on the side of caution - Vs a hurried mistake - has to be better IMO.

When I wrote:sometimes I'm not as prepared as I should be

I ought to have been more clear about this, thinking the short-hand would be understood; I wasn't paying as much attention to driving as I should have been, probably chatting with the coach, didn't spot that an opportunity might soon present itself and, in consequence, hadn't prepared myself to take advantage should it come to pass.

Edmund Kean

Postby Edmund Kean » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:04 pm

Gareth wrote:I guess the other side of the coin is to ask what you think they are able to do with the 'information' you've conveyed.

I can’t know, perhaps with some imagination I could come up with some thoughts. But what I do believe from the above overtaking example - I have acted in accord with an element of roadcraft, that being… Giving clear information.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:28 pm

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:Given the potential for severe consequences if it goes wrong, erring on the side of caution - Vs a hurried mistake - has to be better IMO.

When I wrote:sometimes I'm not as prepared as I should be

I ought to have been more clear about this, thinking the short-hand would be understood; I wasn't paying as much attention to driving as I should have been, probably chatting with the coach, didn't spot that an opportunity might soon present itself and, in consequence, hadn't prepared myself to take advantage should it come to pass.

How much delay do you mean, low single-figure seconds delay, or longer?

But perhaps a more important point is 'why had your attention dropped?' - maybe an indication that instead of going for overtakes you actually needed a rest?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:06 pm

Edmund Kean wrote:As the road widened up ahead (about three quarter width) I moved to, distance wise, a following position but out on the offside. I paused in that positioned to be absolutely sure my intended overtaking manoeuvre was going to be safe. As I paused, I activated my indicator and a few seconds later, picked up the drive to pass the van. Not entirely textbook, but it was absolutely safe. I believe I communicated my clear intention to overtake with road position and, with one final confirmation of the when - the indicator being activated. I believe I communicated suitably and with courtesy to the van driver and I used the indicator to convey - it’s going to happen now.

Not entirely textbook? Your use of the indicator carried a meaning known only to you. Unless you intended to move further right or turn right then it, as far as the highway code is concerned, had no meaning. The point of using signals as defined in HC, and only signals defined in HC, is so that everyone knows what they mean. If you start assigning your own arbitrary meaning to something that everyone else recognises as something different then only confusion can ensue. Once you are in the offside position the only signal advocated in Roadcraft prior to committing would be a warning signal, perhaps a horn or long headlamp flash, but an indicator? really?

Return to “Advanced Driving - Cars”