Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

The first test you do - organised by the government.
ograymic

Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

Postby ograymic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 pm

I have been driving 12 years now, give or take. and i was taught to use the 12 o'clock rule when no other markings are present on a roundabout. This has served me well for a good portion of my driving life but there is one roundabout that has me questioning my training.

2017-10-14 (2).png
2017-10-14 (2).png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 14741 times

The above picture shows a roundabout i am using regularly as part of my job as a delivery driver and the specific problem i'm having is going across from A to C (see annotations on the picture).
At the moment, I use the right lane and proceed around the roundabout in the right lane, indicating off when passing 'B', This seems perfectly logical to me, except i haven't seen anyone else do this. Every other road user sticks to the left lane all the way round.
I have read the highway code, it says simply to use the appropriate lane when not taking the first or last exits.
In fact the only publication i can find that comes close to this situation is http://www.asktheadi.co.uk/?page_id=78. Right at the bottom it shows an example similar to the above roundabout stating you should stay in the left lane, indicating right until you pass exit 1. then indicate off.

This seems wrong to me so basically i'm after a second opinion and/or clarification as to how to drive in this particular situation.
Also sorry for the wall of text. :D

Strangely Brown

Re: Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 am

You are correct. Indicating right while in the left lane is wrong. As viewed from your approach at A the exit at C is technically "past 12 O'Clock" so your technique is sound. The question is really, is what you are doing safe and efficient for you and not misleading to others? If the answer is yes, then stick with it.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:30 am

What you describe all sounds fine.

Can we have a Google Maps link please so we can virtually drive it?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

ograymic

Postby ograymic » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:28 am

Strangely Brown wrote:You are correct. Indicating right while in the left lane is wrong. As viewed from your approach at A the exit at C is technically "past 12 O'Clock" so your technique is sound. The question is really, is what you are doing safe and efficient for you and not misleading to others? If the answer is yes, then stick with it.

The reason that has caused me to question my method is that on several occasions, cars behind me have gone round the outside and been too close on my left as i do my mirror check to come off the roundabout. At first i put this down to impatience as i drive a van and stick to the 50mph national speed limit but its been close enough that i've had to take evasive action to avoid turning into someone in the outside lane as i come off at my exit.

Heres the google link to the junction.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4373175,1.2111886,249m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:01 am

Hmm, now having 'driven' it I'd say that if I was approaching that for the first time everything looks like you should be in lane 1 to go straight. It is only at the very last moment (or with the benefit of a PC with an aerial view and perhaps a high seat in your van) that lane 2 looks more appropriate.

Given the speed/manoeuvrability restrictions on your delivery vehicle and the strange camber of the RAB, perhaps adopting what everyone else is doing (using lane 1) may be the safer option?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:14 am

I tend to agree with Mike, especially as the speed limit appears to be NSL for cars. Someone approaching without local knowledge, or a high seating position, would probably use the left lane on approach. Given that local knowledge tells you that other drivers mainly pick lane 1, perhaps fitting in with others' expectations is the safer course.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

ograymic

Postby ograymic » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:20 am

GTR1400Man you make a very good point, the signage clearly depicts the roundabout as a standard layout and i hadn't considered what you can see of the junction itself from a lower point of view. I think i will alter my approach and take the left/outside lane in the hope to reduce the risk but still keep in mind someone might still take the inside lane too.
Thank you everyone for the advice and taking the time to look into this.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:35 am

I'll just add the extra caveat that if you do adopt lane 1 you need to be extra careful of high speed vehicles heading North on the A140 straight lining the RAB or exiting from lane 2 on the RAB as you'll be crossing their path. Yes, they are the ones making the decision to straight line but you slowing or accelerating could help them achieve it and avoid a collision not of your fault.

ograymic

Postby ograymic » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:57 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:I'll just add the extra caveat that if you do adopt lane 1 you need to be extra careful of high speed vehicles heading North on the A140 straight lining the RAB or exiting from lane 2 on the RAB as you'll be crossing their path. Yes, they are the ones making the decision to straight line but you slowing or accelerating could help them achieve it and avoid a collision not of your fault.

Yes it does add some complications, i'm most worried about people heading southbound from Norwich thinking i'm heading north and just not indicating off.
2017-10-21.png
2017-10-21.png (449.4 KiB) Viewed 14717 times

But at least i can anticipate that and will be traveling slower around the outside to reduce the cornering forces.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:11 am

ograymic wrote:Yes it does add some complications, i'm most worried about people heading southbound from Norwich thinking i'm heading north and just not indicating off.

But at least i can anticipate that and will be traveling slower around the outside to reduce the cornering forces.

It's where being flexible comes in. On a day where there's several of you going straight across use lane 1. If you are in a line of vehicles doing the same thing the others approaching the RAB are less likely to misunderstand your intentions. However if you are arriving at the RAB all by yourself, you can drive it as you have been doing, or still approach in lane 1 and do an element of straight lining yourself (maybe ;) ).

Return to “Learner Driving”