Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

The first test you do - organised by the government.
martine

Re: Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

Postby martine » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:36 am

The roundabout sign is misleading...and there are no arrows marked on the road so I suggest you comply with common practice and just beware of those coming up your nearside - you always have the option of continuing around the roundabout if someone is too close.

Every roundabout is different and the HWC only suggests how to deal with roundabouts...there are always exceptions.
Last edited by martine on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:53 am

iI would add that the general lack of driving skills on roundabouts means that I will always drive them defensively, that doesn't have to mean timidly, but I will always assume that other drivers may do weird things! So, start by doing the right thing, but always assume that others will move randomly - if you look at pretty much every ranting video on youtube or pistonheads about roundabouts I suspect that there is always an opportunity to avoid the situation if drivers watch, and don't make assumptions!

Alasdair

hir

Postby hir » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:41 am

ograymic wrote:I have read the highway code, it says simply to use the appropriate lane when not taking the first or last exits... :D

As with all things advanced driving... it just depends.

If there was no other traffic about I would take as straight a line as possible. Entering via lane 1, moving to lane 2 through the roundabout and then positioning to the right of the exit lane to open up the view to the left on the road to The Pulhams. But that's if I have the road to myself. The OP doesn't.

As I said... it all depends. The OP has a slower moving vehicle and he drives this roundabout when it is busy. So, How about this for a mildly controversial solution to the problem the OP has illustrated:

1). Enter the R/B from the left-hand lane (lane 1).
2). Stay in lane 1 on the R/B but immediately signal RIGHT.

This signal will inform two other groups of road user:
a) ... drivers entering the R/B from the direction of Norwich (the large white van in the Google picture) who will be informed that you will be crossing their entrance onto the R/B and that you do not intend to exit towards Norwich notwithstanding your position in lane 1, and
b) ... drivers approaching from the right in lane 2, ie. from the direction of Ipswich, who intend to exit towards Norwich who will be informed that you intend to cut across the Norwich exit and will not be exiting towards Norwich.

3). Immediately after passing the Norwich exit, and before the entry from Norwich (ie. before the large white lorry) signal LEFT.
4). Exit towards The Pulhams.

Now, I know that many contributors to PistonHeads, and probably also on this forum, decry the driver who "signals right, then signals left" when going straight ahead at a R/B. But, these are inevitably drivers who are following the miscreant and may not necessarily appreciate that the driver in front is trying to inform other road users who might benefit from those signals.

Just a thought.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:19 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Hmm, now having 'driven' it I'd say that if I was approaching that for the first time everything looks like you should be in lane 1 to go straight. It is only at the very last moment (or with the benefit of a PC with an aerial view and perhaps a high seat in your van) that lane 2 looks more appropriate.

I agree. On first approach it looks like a straightforward 12 O'Clock 2nd exit and therefore approach in L1, no signal, breakaway signal as you pass exit 1. With local knowledge and something other than a van with limited visibility I would have no problem approaching in L2, no signal, make sure I have no vehicle alongside throughout, breakaway signal as I pass exit 1 and leave cleanly at exit 2. But it all depends on having enough visibility and being flexible enough.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:01 pm

There's RABs and there's RABs. Large RABs like this one can almost work as bits of large radius dual carriageway and lane changing on the RAB is not such a big deal. On a small RAB I find that if you don't come in on the "correct" lane chaos may ensue :drums:

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Another example of poor signage. That to me is a right turn. At the give way line the second exit is at two o clock. But as others have said, if the majority use the LH lane, it may be best to use that.

Nigel.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 am

The crucial thing about your particular path through the roundabout is that you have 2 lanes on approach but only 1 on leaving. This means that if you use lane 2 on the r/a, you have to be aware that you are potentially "cutting in" on traffic that's used lane 1. Conversely, if you use lane 1 you have to be on the lookout for those in lane 2. Nobody's "right" or "wrong" - officially, although in their minds there's probably some moral high ground they think they're occupying.

If it appears to be local custom and practice to use lane 1, it's probably best to adopt that approach when it's busy. When on your own, as others have said, do whatever the *&^% you like. There are no nominated lanes on approach, so your interpretation of the HC is correct. Use whichever lane seems most advantageous.
Nick

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:24 pm

That looks like one roundabout where having a mix of 2 lanes on and 1 lane off, would benefit from some directional arrows on the ground to give some clarity. Personally from A I would like to see the left lane being left only, with arrow to suit. And the right lane being a "straight on" (even thought it kind of isn't straight) and right. That would hopefully stop people in the left lane at A going right around and exiting at C.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:26 am

This is a mini roundabout near chez moi and I, from time to time, sit in the pub garden on the left taking a light libation.
It, the junction was previous a T junction the major road going right to left. I often see vehicles travelling right to left signalling a right turn as they approach and navigate the mini R/B..this includes a decent percentage of drivers under instruction.
I wonder why they do this and why they are signalling what is basically a straight ahead; of course the occasional one will do a legal but ill advised U-turn (why this continues to be permitted is beyond me).
It seems to be a case of signaling what you are doing rather then, where you are going. Or, just perhaps, of 'automatic' signalling rather than doing so as and when other road users can genuinely benefit from it.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.83990 ... 312!8i6656

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 pm

I frequent that roundabout too (You can see my work in the top right of the picture, and I live on the beach) and must admit to using my indicators to go "straight on" in both directions at times.
Right to left, I'm conscious that quite a large portion of people take the left exit, combined with the fact that the straight ahead is actually past 12 and to avoid the paint requires a move to the left, I use the right indicator to try and make sure the person waiting on my left doesn't pull out in front of me. As most people cut the RAB, I think the right signal makes my intention a bit clearer.

Similarly going left to right, I'll sometimes use a left indicator as a confirmation for the oncoming traffic so they may "block" the traffic to my right and I can hopefully continue on.

I think there's a combination of a few things specific to this roundabout (shape, volume of traffic taking the "minor" exit, and lack of indication by others) that with local knowledge have led me to indicate where otherwise I might not.

It's also quite a good RAB for stalemates with everyone wanting to turn right

Return to “Learner Driving”