Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

The first test you do - organised by the government.
Strangely Brown

Re: Questioning the way I use roundabouts.

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Exactly that. I use that same roundabout regularly and do all of the above for exactly the same reasons. It just makes life easier for everyone.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm

It's a very good roundabout for making good use of others hesitation :) as indeed are many of them, and yes local knowledge comes into it. I believe any signal is fine as long as it has a clear meaning to all concerned.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:18 pm

Here's the view approaching the mini-RAB (from sussex2's right to left).

I'd certainly indicate right there to go 'straight'. The placement of the RAB means you have to steer left first (unless you are one of the many who now drive over or miss out mini-RABs altogether :evil: ) and a lot of drivers waiting would see that as enough of a position/course change to think you are going left, meaning they can come on to the RAB.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:47 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Here's the view approaching the mini-RAB (from sussex2's right to left).

I'd certainly indicate right there to go 'straight'.

I don't see a 'straight on' option so I'd be indicating left or right depending on my intended exit.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:42 pm

The sign on the approach (same from the other direction).

A lot of these problems are caused by poor design and incorrect or misleading signs. :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:06 pm

Gareth wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Here's the view approaching the mini-RAB (from sussex2's right to left).

I don't see a 'straight on' option so I'd be indicating left or right depending on my intended exit.

+1

Nigel.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:17 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:The sign on the approach (same from the other direction).

A lot of these problems are caused by poor design and incorrect or misleading signs. :(

Here's one in Wimborne Minster. It's obvious that you can't go ahead because you would go straight through a wall.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.80169 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Another thing that highways authorities do is to put a ROAD AHEAD CLOSED sign on the priority road, when it is actually a side road that's closed. Why not place an arrow in the direction of the closed road? :evil:

Sorry for the thread drift.

Nigel.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 am

Gareth wrote:

I've known that bit of road for most of my life and before the roundabout the junction was a T...it is only the steering around the roundabout which makes it any different now - it very often gets driven over particularly by the buses and many HGVs that used the route (there's a lot of building going on at the moment). It is also used as a crossing point for, not a few, pedestrians and cyclists which include school children.
It's that darned local knowledge again. I don't don't know how an learner can learn to identify it, but it certainly needs taking into consideration.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:47 am

sussex2 wrote:before the roundabout the junction was a T...it is only the steering around the roundabout which makes it any different now

It looks to me that the road bends left on approach to the mini-roundabout, removing a 'straight on' option.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:11 am

There is no "straight on" option. Whether travelling north or south, the choices are one of two branches of a "Y".

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.8396936,-0.2857172,18.24z

A learner can identify whether a signal is required simply by looking at the road layout on final approach. One branch goes right, the other left. The only third choice is back whence you came.

Return to “Learner Driving”