Theory test Q

The first test you do - organised by the government.
Jonquirk

Re: Theory test Q

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:31 pm

If you are really interested in getting local radio station traffic reports on your car radio then you should have turned on traffic announcements before setting off. You can then be driven mad as every local station within reception range queues up to give you their bulletin interrupting whatever it wad you were listening to.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:37 pm

akirk wrote:What a ridiculous question - who tunes into their local radio station to get traffic updates in today's world when it is brought directly into your car on the sat nav?! The driver probably doesn't know the local radio frequency / their car is probably set to dab and they don't know how to find new stations / finding a new station is going to distract their driving

uuggghhh - who comes up with such bad questions? So glad I didn't have to answer them for my test!

Alasdair

The questions can be answered using the three publications; Highway Code, Know Your Traffic Signs and Driving - the essential skills. As explained on the DVSA web site.
You may well question the validity of a question(s) (which are not published), but the answers are out there.....

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:18 pm

So, the government has published a book telling drivers to wind back 20 years and tune into a radio station to pick up travel news? Presumably in 'Driving - the essential skills' as that is neither a road sign, nor the Highway Code (at least I hope not!)... so what happens if you do tune in and have just missed the traffic news , do you pull over and wait an hour or do you rashly risk the tunnel without having heard if there might be cars ahead of you?! A question like is really bad, why would anyone ever consider that to be the right answer? Best answer there is remove sun glasses (assuming that they are of course not prescription glasses!)

Alasdair

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:06 am

akirk wrote:So, the government has published a book telling drivers to wind back 20 years and tune into a radio station to pick up travel news? Presumably in 'Driving - the essential skills' as that is neither a road sign, nor the Highway Code (at least I hope not!)... so what happens if you do tune in and have just missed the traffic news , do you pull over and wait an hour or do you rashly risk the tunnel without having heard if there might be cars ahead of you?! A question like is really bad, why would anyone ever consider that to be the right answer? Best answer there is remove sun glasses (assuming that they are of course not prescription glasses!)

Alasdair

It's the right answer because it's the option given in the book.
You can get seven questions (out of 50) wrong and still pass.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:25 am

But it is the wrong option in real life!
Alasdair

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:54 am

akirk wrote:But it is the wrong option in real life!
Alasdair

For many reasons, not least the fact that some cars have neither radios or sunroofs.

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:57 am

I heard the tunnel question was a Europeanisation, intended for long Alpine tunnels where signs show the frequency to be checked, and that the question although in the bank was not actually included in UK tests. But is there a published bank now, I thought it was no longer published?

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 am

waremark wrote:I heard the tunnel question was a Europeanisation, intended for long Alpine tunnels where signs show the frequency to be checked, and that the question although in the bank was not actually included in UK tests. But is there a published bank now, I thought it was no longer published?

If that is true it is wrong to include it - the test is on UK law / driving - otherwise should we be including what to do if dealing with a road train in the Australian Outback / a moose in Scandinavian countries / the turn right while the light is red law in the USA?!

I think that a lot of the questions I have seen are very badly written - I am sure we could come up with better ones which encouraged new drivers to really think about driving well...

How about:
"What do you do after passing your test?"
a) take your friends on a pub crawl
b) go and do some victory donuts in the local supermarket carpark (waiting until the store is closed is optional)
c) go and buy a ferrari and try out the launch control outside your local primary school as it finishes for the day - the kids will love it
d) go and explore the opportunity of advanced driving / furthering your driving skills

Alasdair

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:23 pm

akirk wrote:
waremark wrote:I heard the tunnel question was a Europeanisation, intended for long Alpine tunnels where signs show the frequency to be checked, and that the question although in the bank was not actually included in UK tests. But is there a published bank now, I thought it was no longer published?

If that is true it is wrong to include it - the test is on UK law / driving - otherwise should we be including what to do if dealing with a road train in the Australian Outback / a moose in Scandinavian countries / the turn right while the light is red law in the USA?!

Alasdair

If I have remembered correctly it was blamed on the EU.

fungus

Postby fungus » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:32 pm

I think I should clarify here. The question is actually an example from a theory paper from about twelve years ago. It was just to give an example of the sort of question that may arise. Whether this question is still used I don't know, as the DVSA do not publish practice material that has the same wording as the actual theory test questions.

Nigel.

Return to “Learner Driving”