Theory test Q

The first test you do - organised by the government.
Horse

Theory test Q

Postby Horse » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Does the car L theory test include Qs based on the 'pedestrians' section of the HC?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

fungus

Re: Theory test Q

Postby fungus » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:59 pm

Horse wrote:Does the car L theory test include Qs based on the 'pedestrians' section of the HC?

Yes, from the drivers perspective. I'll give a couple of examples.

1. What would you expect to see coming towards you on your side of the road?

A) A horse rider

B) A cyclist

C) A pedestrian

D) A person leading sheep

Answer. C

2. You are driving at night. You see a pedestrian carrying a red light wallking in the same direction as you are travelling. You are approaching,

A) Joggers out on a jog

B) An organised walk

C) A broken down vehicle

D) A cycle event

Answer. B

Some of the options I have included are not in the official theory test, but in both examples, No 1. Highway Code Rule 2, and No2. Highway code Rule 5, the answer is as worded in the theory test.

Basically, expect the odd question from any section of the Highway Code.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:42 pm

fungus wrote:2. You are driving at night. You see a pedestrian carrying a red light wallking in the same direction as you are travelling. You are approaching,

A) Joggers out on a jog

B) An organised walk

C) A broken down vehicle

D) A cycle event

Answer. B

Nope, you're approaching a pedestrian carrying a red light. Anything else is a dangerous assumption based on insufficient evidence :roll:

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:48 pm

jont- wrote:
fungus wrote:2. You are driving at night. You see a pedestrian carrying a red light wallking in the same direction as you are travelling. You are approaching,

A) Joggers out on a jog

B) An organised walk

C) A broken down vehicle

D) A cycle event

Answer. B

Nope, you're approaching a pedestrian carrying a red light. Anything else is a dangerous assumption based on insufficient evidence :roll:

Surely a pedestrian carrying a red light on the wrong side of the road? :confused:
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:39 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:Surely a pedestrian carrying a red light on the wrong side of the road? :confused:

HC 5

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:02 pm

crr003 wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Surely a pedestrian carrying a red light on the wrong side of the road? :confused:

HC 5

I know what the rule says. I still think it is stupid.

1. For the reason Jont- alluded to.

and 2. Those in the group can't see the vehicle passing them and think they are safe in a group.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Around here the answer to question 1 is 'all of the above'
:)
Alasdair

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:08 pm

akirk wrote:Around here the answer to question 1 is 'all of the above'
Alasdair

Agreed.

The DVSA Theory Test question bank does contain some rather, for want of a better term, awkward questions. For example.

You are approaching a tunnel, you should

A) Find another route

B) Remove your sunglasses

C) Tune to your local radio station

D) Close your sunroof

The problem with this question is that, "You are approaching a tunnel" doesn't give any indication of distance from the tunnel.
The correct answer to the question is actually C. The reason is that you could pick up local traffic information which could inform you of a problem in the vicinity of the tunnel. But, any of the other answers could be correct.

There is another similar tunnel question with slightly different options, where the answer is to close the sun roof. :roll:

Nigel.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:17 pm

fungus wrote:
akirk wrote:Around here the answer to question 1 is 'all of the above'
Alasdair

Agreed.

The DVSA Theory Test question bank does contain some rather, for want of a better term, awkward questions. For example.

You are approaching a tunnel, you should

A) Find another route

B) Remove your sunglasses

C) Tune to your local radio station

D) Close your sunroof

The problem with this question is that, "You are approaching a tunnel" doesn't give any indication of distance from the tunnel.
The correct answer to the question is actually C. The reason is that you could pick up local traffic information which could inform you of a problem in the vicinity of the tunnel. But, any of the other answers could be correct.

There is another similar tunnel question with slightly different options, where the answer is to close the sun roof. :roll:

Nigel.

What a ridiculous question - who tunes into their local radio station to get traffic updates in today's world when it is brought directly into your car on the sat nav?! The driver probably doesn't know the local radio frequency / their car is probably set to dab and they don't know how to find new stations / finding a new station is going to distract their driving

uuggghhh - who comes up with such bad questions? So glad I didn't have to answer them for my test!

Alasdair

Return to “Learner Driving”