One for the ADIs - roundabout indicating

The first test you do - organised by the government.
devonutopia

One for the ADIs - roundabout indicating

Postby devonutopia » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:29 pm

In one of the not best facebook groups I frequent a few young'uns were claiming their instructors were telling them to indicate right when approaching/entering a roundabout with the intention of going straight on, then indicating left off it. I really hope this isn't the case as this technique really gets my goat when I see it on the road.

Assume for the moment this roundabout is a relatively small single lane in/out with 4 exits at 9/12/3 o'clock. :soap: Is there an official line set out on this in driving standards used for ADIs/learners?

sussex2

Re: One for the ADIs - roundabout indicating

Postby sussex2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:54 pm

It's a remarkably common thing and seems to be an indication of where you are driving, not where you are intending to go.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:00 pm

It winds me up too. A well known organisation promoting driving skills for drivers below the age of 17 also teaches this. I always asked why, never got a satisfactory answer other than "it tells people I'm not turning left" :headbang:
Nick

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:13 pm

well the simple answer to anyone teaching that is that you hope their liability insurance is up to date when someone has an accident and inaccurate signalling is a part of the cause!

It really is simple and in fact has its own section in the Highway Code:

Rule 186

Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
you should not normally need to signal on approach
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

crystal clear :)

Alasdair

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:20 pm

... except for the use of the words "should not normally". Of course the ADIs who teach this will claim every situation is special and requires a signal "just to be sure", and that it's easier for the candidate if they don't have to think too much, because they will always signal either left or right. Of course we know this is nonsense, but we're talking about the teaching of learners and the production line that is involved in it.
Nick

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:15 pm

I thought the user base of this ridiculous technique from days gone by were gradually dying out as age catches up with them. I'm saddened to hear the gene pool is being contaminated again.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

hir

Postby hir » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:49 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I thought the user base of this ridiculous technique from days gone by were gradually dying out as age catches up with them. I'm saddened to hear the gene pool is being contaminated again.

Agreed. But what we don't know is whether or not these "youn'uns" are still dipping into that ancient gene pool of instructors, or, as you say, the new gene pool is being contaminated.

devonutopia

Postby devonutopia » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:28 pm

I just hope its isolated (hopefully) to a very small number. Good to hear the official line though. I think I will ask at my RoSPA committee meeting tomorrow as well as pretty sure there's at least 4 current ADIs.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:35 pm

I don't know any ADI's who would teach that. It goes against the recommendations and would raise eyebrows on test to say the least.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:49 pm

I think this is clear-cut in the UK, but watch out if you go to France. They have a habit of signalling right going into a RB then dribbling round the outside and shooting off at random into any exit without signalling

Return to “Learner Driving”