Advanced Drivers of America

Advanced Driving across North America
Strangely Brown

Re: Advanced Drivers of America

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Have to say that even your car delivery sounds like fun. We did NY to Reno in five days (to make it in time for the Air Races) but managed to turn left at Denver and take in The Rockies, Winslow AZ, Meteor Crater, The Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, A night in Las Vegas and Death Valley on the way. After the races it was out through the Sierras to SF.

It's really easy to cover huge distances over there and, for me at least, without any of the boredom and tiredness that I get on UK motorways (spit).

Playtent

Postby Playtent » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:09 am

We were there in 95 and did the West/East coast over 3 weeks and drove 10,000 miles in a Hyundai Accent and I still enjoyed it. The most memorable bit was me saying to the wife after nearly 3 weeks that I'd got the hang of this driving on the wrong side and then proceeded to turn out of the Macdonalds and drive along the wrong side of the road until I saw a car coming towards us and quickly got back on my own side. :oops:

The wife in Detroit turned the wrong way towards 6 lanes of waiting traffic at a set of traffic lights all facing towards us :shock: I've never seen anyone pull a U turn as quickly since! :lol:

We also drove up into Canada and out onto Prince Edward Island before leaving the next morning and driving the 1200 miles back to New York arriving the next morning having driven all through the night in shifts. :(
Last edited by Playtent on Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Astraist

Postby Astraist » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:37 am

Having been to the US for ages, but I think that over-generalising on US driving road (or lack thereof) is the result of ignoring the differences between the different states in the union.

They are fifty different states, some profoundly different to the others. They are different in topography as well, and this dictates the amount of interesting roads. The precentage of interesting roads is directly proportional to the amount of interesting cars on the road and market.

Back on topic, If I happen by there, I would probably go and enjoy their advanced driving and racing coaching services. Skip Barber and Ed Dellis obviously spring to mind...

Return to “North America”