Why - what does it matter?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Jonquirk

Re: Why - what does it matter?

Postby Jonquirk » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 pm

The pedants revolt was led by Which Tyler.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:16 pm

LOL ... but I had to look it up as something in the back of my head said it wasn't correct. :)
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:35 pm

https://www.rokon.com

Two wheels powered :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:09 am

Both articles are asking for witnesses to come forward...stating the car make may help jog someone's memory.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:21 am

martine wrote:Both articles are asking for witnesses to come forward...stating the car make may help jog someone's memory.

I knew a guy who did forensic video analysis. When trying to determine a vehicle make and type, the last thing he wanted was someone say "I think it's a ______ "
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

RiK

Postby RiK » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Horse wrote:Women have complained for ages that newspaper reports always state their age.

Apparently there's some rule in reporting about that, to enable a person to be accurately identified...

Example answer from a journalist: https://parade.com/618367/marilynvossav ... -articles/

I’ve been a journalist for 40 years, and learned in journalism school to identify a person by age and city of residence to distinguish that person from another person of the same name. As you can imagine, if you simply wrote that Bill McNamara was charged with a serious crime, you would probably have dozens of people with that name sue you for libel. But if you wrote that the person was Bill McNamara, 37, of Pleasantville, New York, you would have narrowed it down—even more so if you used that person’s middle initial. If you read news articles from 60 or 70 years ago, you’ll notice reporters went one step further and included the person’s home address too, but that led to problems in itself, so the practice has largely been discontinued. All these personal identifiers are used to further accurate reporting, not voyeurism.

—Mark Orwoll, 63, in Pleasantville, New York
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

Return to “General Chat”