Proposal for new driving test regulations post initial test...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.

Are you in favour of the new proposed driving regulations?

Agree to all
No votes
Agree to some (please specify alternative)
14%
Disagree
86%

Total votes: 7

Tracey_YCoung

Proposal for new driving test regulations post initial test...

Postby Tracey_YCoung » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:45 am

As a commercial driving and member of both IAM and RoSpa I've put together a suggestion which I will be forwarding on to those higher up, but first I'd like to know everyone's views, opinions and thoughts and hopefully get people's full support...feel free to ask questions too...

After witnessing some appalling driving by all and getting caught up in some cases. Plus the ignorance of drivers, I've devised a proposal which I intend sending to DVSA, DSA and Department of Transport.

CYCLISTS
All cyclists 12years+ must undertake a theory, hazard perception and cycling proficiency test. Theory tests and cycling proficiency test must be undertaken every 5yrs. Cycling license must be carried at all times when cycling otherwise £500 fine will be issued. Following this they will also be issued with a licence plate to be be displayed on the back of the bike. The license plate will be made up WS88 TE13Y7 (the area of where said person's license is registered; year of birth; first 2 initials; first part of DoB; initial of last name; month of birth) that way if they jump lights or cycle inappropriately they can face penalties.

CARS
Every new driver needs to complete "Pass Plus" within first month of passing. Followed by a 2 day large vehicle awareness course to be taken within the first 3months of passing...covering all 3 sizes (Class 2, Class 1 and PCV) course will entail classroom and practical (practical will be undertaken displaying 'GREEN' 'L plates' front and back and will last 2hours) there will be an exam paper to conclude. After completing these 2 elements, there will be an Advance Skills Awareness Course (with the option to becoming a member of Advance Motoring - not compulsory) within the first and second year of passing.

Depending on age and frequency of driving everyone needs to under go a theory and driving test every 3-5yrs. License cannot be lost however, test will have to re-done if not up to standard within a month, otherwise penalties will be issued. As an incentive if they pass the test first time the exam fee will be refunded. Lessons are optional because ideally they shouldn't need lessons as standards should be being maintained.

COMMERCIAL VEHICLES (Class 2; Class 1; PCV)!
Test and theory test to be retaken every 3-5yrs depending on age.

License cannot be lost however, test will have to be re-done if not up to standard within a month, otherwise penalties will be issued. As an incentive if they pass the test first time the exam fee will be refunded. Lessons are optional because ideally they shouldn't need lessons as standards should be being maintained.

There will also be mechanical awareness course available in all categories which all commercial drivers will be encouraged to undertake. If course is completed in first 3yrs of obtaining the license, the course will be free. Practical assessment and multiple choice written paper.

For motor cyclists, the same will apply as for cars.

NB
If said person wishes to undergo lessons before their re-test this is there choice so will be paid for by the candidate. Test fee (reduced price from original) will only be refunded if the candidate passes first time as an incentive.
Attachments
received_211838793029329-1.jpeg
Proposed new additional licenses.
received_211838793029329-1.jpeg (468.31 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
Last edited by Tracey_YCoung on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hir

Re: Proposal for new driving test regulations post initial test...

Postby hir » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:07 am

Tracey_YCoung wrote:
CYCLISTS
All cyclists 12years+ must undertake a theory, hazard perception and cycling proficiency test. Theory tests and cycling proficiency test must be undertaken every 5yrs. Cycling license must be carried at all times when cycling otherwise £500 fine will be issued. Following this they will also be issued with a licence plate to be be displayed on the back of the bike. The license plate will be made up WS88 TE13Y7 (the area of where said person's license is registered; year of birth; first 2 initials; first part of DoB; initial of last name; month of birth) that way if they jump lights or cycle inappropriately they can face penalties.

This is completely unrealistic. The police have enough to do without having to arrest cyclists not displaying a licence plate with their date of birth, etc, displayed!

Tracey_YCoung wrote:CARS
Depending on age and frequency of driving everyone needs to...

Here, there would be a problem with defining age and frequency.

Tracey_YCoung wrote:As an incentive if they pass the [refresher] test first time the exam fee will be refunded.

We don't have sufficient funds to finance essential public services. The cost of this project would be prohibitive and will never see the light of day as a consequence.

You wrote... "it has got my blood boiling so much I've devised a proposal"... unfortunately, emotions are never a good starting place for reasoned, rational and well thought through proposals. And your proposals are a case in point. Tracey, I'm sure your proposals are well meaning but are too idealistic, complex and unnecessary to be acceptable to the general public. They would be politically toxic and are completely unrealistic in practice, so, unfortunately, I shan't be voting, I'm out. :(

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:11 pm

^^^ What he said.

Any law or regulation that cannot be policed or enforced is pointless.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:14 pm

For drivers, if something is worth knowing (such as hazard awareness) then shouldn't it be covered in L training?

Drivers at all stages are likely to encounter the same situations.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 am

The best thing IMO would be to make drivers have periodic eye tests. I honestly believe that a lot of problems on the roads are caused by poor eyesight rather than deliberate bad behaviour.
In Spain every driver over the age of 40 must have this test every five years and their licence is valid for that period only.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:14 pm

sussex2 wrote:The best thing IMO would be to make drivers have periodic eye tests. I honestly believe that a lot of problems on the roads are caused by poor eyesight rather than deliberate bad behaviour.
In Spain every driver over the age of 40 must have this test every five years and their licence is valid for that period only.

Firstly, let me say that I agree; a driver's eyesight should be of at least the minimum required standard.

However... a driver could have vision that would put a peregrine to shame and it would count for bugger all if they don't look any further ahead than the end of the bonnet. I have long been convinced that the average driver looks no further that one car ahead, two at most, and that's only when they're not staring down at their lap.

[Edit: typo]
Last edited by Strangely Brown on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:33 pm

sussex2 wrote:The best thing IMO would be to make drivers have periodic eye tests. I honestly believe that a lot of problems on the roads are caused by poor eyesight rather than deliberate bad behaviour.

I know I've posted this before, but so what? :) Years ago, the bike training centre borrowed a Keystone eyesight machine for one of our town centre displays.

85 people tested (almost all were drivers), 12 referred to opticians - one had a severe undiagnosed eye problem!

hir

Postby hir » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Horse wrote:I know I've posted this before, but so what? :) Years ago, the bike training centre borrowed a Keystone eyesight machine for one of our town centre displays.

85 people tested (almost all were drivers), 12 referred to opticians - one had a severe undiagnosed eye problem!

I too have sympathy with the suggestion of mandatory regular eyesight-tests. Every three years wouldn't be a bad idea.

I had an associate who was unable to comply with the legal eyesight requirement. I terminated the course and advised them to see an optician. Six months later, having had two cataract operations, they contacted me again and the course resumed.

Regular mandatory eyesight tests would be less of an issue compared with regular mandatory driving re-tests. In terms of losing one's licence, eyesight checks are less threatening than mandatory driving re-tests as any failing can usually be easily remedied by prescription glasses, contact lenses or cataract operations. Also, most members of the public would be more amenable to having an eyesight test (health check-up) rather than a driving re-test (could lose their driving licence because they can't pass the test). Although not particularly welcome, most people would find it more acceptable to be told that their eyesight is not as good as it should be, but that it can easily be improved, rather than be told that their driving is rubbish, they shouldn't be driving and that their licence is now revoked until such time that they can pass a re-test! :o

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:14 pm

I have no idea whether you are right that periodic eye tests would make a significant difference to road safety. I strongly suspect that the standard test of reading a number plate at 20m is far too simplistic - that level of acuity is less important than field of view and maybe other factors. Observation is vital, it does not depend on particularly good eyesight.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:20 pm

waremark wrote:I have no idea whether you are right that periodic eye tests would make a significant difference to road safety. I strongly suspect that the standard test of reading a number plate at 20m is far too simplistic - that level of acuity is less important than field of view and maybe other factors. Observation is vital, it does not depend on particularly good eyesight.

I *think* that you can - technically - pass the eyesight test for driving if you are:
- Blind in one eye
- Have tunnel vision and colour blindness in the other

But it's OK if the dog can drive :)

Return to “General Chat”