Proposal for new driving test regulations post initial test...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.

Are you in favour of the new proposed driving regulations?

Agree to all
No votes
Agree to some (please specify alternative)
14%
Disagree
86%

Total votes: 7

waremark

Re: Proposal for new driving test regulations post initial test...

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:26 pm

Pass Plus fell out of favour because insurance companies reported that there was no measurable link between Pass Plus and a reduced rate of claims. I don't favour further paper or screen based tests which I suspect have little relationship to the quality of driving.

If a 2 day large vehicle appreciation course is required, why would it not be included as part of the existing theory test? In any case, I suggest this proposal is wildly over the top.

Re-testing has already been discussed. I should prefer re-training to re-testing but don't expect either to be introduced.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 pm

If there's going to be any training element, do long-term trials to determine what actually makes a difference (e.g. Pass Plus in previous post).
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

waremark

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Horse wrote:If there's going to be any training element, do long-term trials to determine what actually makes a difference (e.g. Pass Plus in previous post).

Very good point. IAM have never been able to demonstrate a quantifiable benefit from their training.

And this is when I make assumptions about behaviour changes most likely to increase driving safety. How do you get drivers to put more of their concentration into the task of driving, to enter hazards more slowly and to adopt longer following distances, while not compensating with other risk enhancing behaviours?

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:24 pm

Automation appears to be the only realistic solution.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:58 am

waremark wrote:How do you get drivers to put more of their concentration into the task of driving, to enter hazards more slowly and to adopt longer following distances, while not compensating with other risk enhancing behaviours?

Lots of trafpol and widespread removal of driving licenses from the incompetent. No "exceptional hardship" excuses either.

Automation is only going to make things worse in the short term as people deskill but the automation can't handle the corner cases.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:15 am

I am quite sure that there was a recent post from Sussex RPU or an article in a local rag that said they would be administering roadside eyesight checks for all vehicles that they had cause to stop and a failure to read a licence plate at 20m would result in on-the-spot licence revocation via DVLA.

I can't find it now but I remember being impressed by the intention at the time.

Tracey_YCoung

Postby Tracey_YCoung » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 am

Strangely Brown wrote:^^^ What he said.

Any law or regulation that cannot be policed or enforced is pointless.

Yet another serious accident happened this morning....wake up and smell the bacon, something needs to be done!! We are meant to be advocates of the road...so why don't we make a stand to make things change for the better. Its too much for the police to deal with, but think about all the resources used when serious accidents happen...better education and continuous monitoring has the potential to reduce accidents. Open you eyes...you all call yourself advance drivers....you should be ashamed of yourself not wanting to make the roads safer and instead of just rolling over and accepting things for how they are.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:26 am

Strangely Brown wrote:I am quite sure that there was a recent post from Sussex RPU or an article in a local rag that said they would be administering roadside eyesight checks for all vehicles that they had cause to stop and a failure to read a licence plate at 20m would result in on-the-spot licence revocation via DVLA.

I can't find it now but I remember being impressed by the intention at the time.

I honestly think that something as simple as eye tests on a regular basis would have a bigger effect on road safety than any kind of complicated automation/retesting and other examinations.
On the subject of the last and having been (many years ago) a driving instructor I can tell you that some of the better people, the ones you knew would be able to drive, may well have had difficulty with written examinations; they were however almost always a pleasure to teach.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:13 am

Tracey_YCoung wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:^^^ What he said.

Any law or regulation that cannot be policed or enforced is pointless.

Yet another serious accident happened this morning...

Oh, I am quite sure there was more than one.

Tracey_YCoung wrote:wake up and smell the bacon, something needs to be done!!

Yes. I have no doubt that you will not find anyone here who does not want to see better driving standards on UK roads. It's just that your proposals are not a workable solution.

Tracey_YCoung wrote:We are meant to be advocates of the road...

We are. You only have to look at Gareth's signature. :)

Tracey_YCoung wrote:so why don't we make a stand to make things change for the better.

If you take a little time to look around here you might find that is exactly what people do. They just do it in ways that are actually workable.

Tracey_YCoung wrote:Its too much for the police to deal with, but think about all the resources used when serious accidents happen...better education and continuous monitoring has the potential to reduce accidents.

Does it? On what do you base that assertion?

Tracey_YCoung wrote:Open you eyes...you all call yourself advance drivers....you should be ashamed of yourself not wanting to make the roads safer and instead of just rolling over and accepting things for how they are.

Nobody said that; they just said that your proposal is not workable. Hint: getting stroppy just because people disagree with you is not going to convince anyone that you are right.

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Tracey_YCoung wrote:Yet another serious accident happened this morning....wake up and smell the bacon, something needs to be done!! We are meant to be advocates of the road...so why don't we make a stand to make things change for the better. Its too much for the police to deal with, but think about all the resources used when serious accidents happen...better education and continuous monitoring has the potential to reduce accidents. Open you eyes...you all call yourself advance drivers....you should be ashamed of yourself not wanting to make the roads safer and instead of just rolling over and accepting things for how they are.

Are we lesser because we are doing things in a small way?

Here you are castigating those who, by reading and possibly contributing to this forum, have shown an interest in improving their own driving. Many might have gone further and made an effort to improve their driving, some further still by helping others to do the same.

Are none of your readership worthy of support for the efforts they've made, or is your way the one and only true way to improved driving standards?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Return to “General Chat”