Hazard perception test now features more weather conditions

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
angus

Re: Hazard perception test now features more weather conditions

Postby angus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:18 pm

crr003 wrote:
Triquet wrote:
angus wrote:I did the HPT 15 years ago when I was trying to become an ADI and said then that I didn't think it was fit for purpose. As Mike says, experienced drivers click too early. With modern technology, it must be easy to touch the screen where the [potential] hazard is

I think that this would be a seriously good idea

Why? You don't point at the developing hazard while you're driving. Well you shouldn't! Clicking the mouse is a more accurate measure of timing.
It's not simply a question of identifying the hazard, it's when it becomes an issue.

There were 2 clips that I remember where this would help:

The first is a parked van. You can see someone on the footpath, walking towards the front of the van. An experienced driver would react to someone walking towards the road, but the "correct" answer is when they step in front of you.

The second was a country scene with the road going down into a valley. The resolution of the screen was such that the 2 horses being ridden were not clear, instead it was just a few pixels oscillating. In reality, anyone with reasonable eyesight and observation would've seen the horses long before they were clear on the screen.

In addition, some candidates just click at random intervals without registering the actual hazard or perceive a hazard other than the clip is supposed to illustrate

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:48 pm

angus wrote:
crr003 wrote:
Triquet wrote:
angus wrote:I did the HPT 15 years ago when I was trying to become an ADI and said then that I didn't think it was fit for purpose. As Mike says, experienced drivers click too early. With modern technology, it must be easy to touch the screen where the [potential] hazard is

I think that this would be a seriously good idea

Why? You don't point at the developing hazard while you're driving. Well you shouldn't! Clicking the mouse is a more accurate measure of timing.
It's not simply a question of identifying the hazard, it's when it becomes an issue.

There were 2 clips that I remember where this would help:

The first is a parked van. You can see someone on the footpath, walking towards the front of the van. An experienced driver would react to someone walking towards the road, but the "correct" answer is when they step in front of you.

The second was a country scene with the road going down into a valley. The resolution of the screen was such that the 2 horses being ridden were not clear, instead it was just a few pixels oscillating. In reality, anyone with reasonable eyesight and observation would've seen the horses long before they were clear on the screen.

In addition, some candidates just click at random intervals without registering the actual hazard or perceive a hazard other than the clip is supposed to illustrate

Let's remember who the clips are for. Being able to spot someone starting to step into the road is a pretty good start. Or rather, if they can't they should fail! I think the system is strained enough, without having to accept screen touches to identify possible hazards - shirley if you then click when that hazard develops, that's a sign that you recognised the situation?

And let's not forget as Horse informed us - the Government says it helps road safety and governments don't lie.

I'm not sure if randomly clicking would get a pass. And one clip has two hazards, so they should still be concentrating after an obvious hazard.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:06 pm

crr003 wrote: the Government says it helps road safety and governments don't lie.

Do you know something we don't?

I'm sure the data sets are available if anyone wants to check for themselves.

Anyway, you'd need to argue with Royalty too:
http://roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/n-a-4071/
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

angus

Postby angus » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:

Hmm. 27 different awards going back 21 years.

I'll wager even Brake have won one

And the first was for the gatso speed camera :headbang:

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:29 pm

angus wrote:
Horse wrote:
crr003 wrote:

Hmm. 27 different awards going back 21 years.

I'll wager even Brake have won one

And the first was for the gatso speed camera :headbang:

Far more than that! There were about a dozen the year I went to the ceremony for one (but, yes, only one 'best in show' each year).

And as for Gatsos, didn't PMK have to resign from the IAM for speeding?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”