Hazard perception test now features more weather conditions

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Hazard perception test now features more weather conditions

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:57 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hazard-perception-test-now-features-more-weather-conditions

The Dayglo in clip 2 seems to be working awfully well. ;)

I have no idea when I would be expected to click on those tests. Ideally it should be when you start to plan to do something about it, not when it all starts to go wrong. I'm sure I'd fail miserably as I did when I tried the practice ones available online (clicking too early).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Stefluc1

Re: Hazard perception test now features more weather conditions

Postby Stefluc1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm

That’s the problem with the hazard perception test they are all geared up for learners and not the experienced driver ,as drivers with some sort of advanced standard as said will anticipate and plan on approach which they don’t want they want the hazard to have developed sufficient for the driver to have started to take action by brake or change direction.
They need to develop one that suits the audience so to speak as too many clips gets you disqualified for rhythmatic clicking.
IAM Examiner cars and LGVs
ROSPA Examiner Cars and LGVs
National Police car Instructor

angus

Postby angus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:43 pm

I did the HPT 15 years ago when I was trying to become an ADI and said then that I didn't think it was fit for purpose. As Mike says, experienced drivers click too early. With modern technology, it must be easy to touch the screen where the [potential] hazard is

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Can autonomous cars pass these tests? Presumably the software should have some way of indicating it's seen something that means it needs to change driving plan.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:47 pm

A nerd comments: Hmmm . . . not too sure about the accuracy of their roadworks . . . Yes, they have the 'OSSR' layout, but the signing is at ground level and the taper is 'underwhelming'.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:50 pm

angus wrote:I did the HPT 15 years ago when I was trying to become an ADI and said then that I didn't think it was fit for purpose.

FFP or not, its introduction is supposed to have resulted in up to an 11% reduction in crashes . . .

Re experienced / advanced drivers, just click twice: once when you think it's a hazard (actual or potential danger) then a second time when DVSA say it's 'developing' i.e. when you're likely to have to take action. When it came in, I got a training DVD from the library, took the test straight away and - following ^ method - got one 4 and the rest 5s.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

ancient

Postby ancient » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:18 pm

That 'Driving in rain' clip shows the example car following less than two seconds behind the front car ... on a wet road! So does the 'Driving at night' one. These are DVLA examples of how to drive?!? Or may be we should be hitting the 'stop this' button as soon as it comes on.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:32 pm

angus wrote:I did the HPT 15 years ago when I was trying to become an ADI and said then that I didn't think it was fit for purpose. As Mike says, experienced drivers click too early. With modern technology, it must be easy to touch the screen where the [potential] hazard is

I think that this would be a seriously good idea

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:01 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: I have no idea when I would be expected to click on those tests. Ideally it should be when you start to plan to do something about it, not when it all starts to go wrong. I'm sure I'd fail miserably as I did when I tried the practice ones available online (clicking too early).

Amusingly, when I was a learner, practising the hazard perception, I had the same problem with it as you did, I frequently clicked too early, as did a lot of my deaf-at-birth friends. I believe the correlation is there because deaf people are naturally more visual (due to not having working ears, so the eyes have to compensate), which in turn results in us being more naturally adept at spotting developing hazards. I was taught to get around this issue by older deaf friends, who learnt the trick from older deaf friends, and so on. The trick is to click when you spot the developing hazard (usually too early), and then wait a moment, and then click again (usually in the 4-5 point section), wait a moment, and then click once more. This just simply means statistically, you''ve got 95% chance you'll get 5 points, if you're the type to consistiently spot it too early. Usually the software is programmed to notice patterns in the clicking, and if it sees a regular pattern of clicking over a sample of the video, 0 points. Same goes for if you frantically click about 20 times through the "points" section where the hazard is developing.

It is quite a simple system, so pretty easy to just make sure you don't click more than 3 times per hazard, and there's no reason the computer system should fail you.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:03 pm

Triquet wrote:
angus wrote:I did the HPT 15 years ago when I was trying to become an ADI and said then that I didn't think it was fit for purpose. As Mike says, experienced drivers click too early. With modern technology, it must be easy to touch the screen where the [potential] hazard is

I think that this would be a seriously good idea

Why? You don't point at the developing hazard while you're driving. Well you shouldn't! Clicking the mouse is a more accurate measure of timing.
It's not simply a question of identifying the hazard, it's when it becomes an issue.

Return to “General Chat”