Who goes first?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Who goes first?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:03 pm

jcochrane wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote: I suppose the question which would be more challenging is what if the two cars met each other, and both wanted to turn right? As in that case, both cars would be crossing the path of the other, and both cars would be distrupting the flow of traffic!.

The advice here is for the two right turning vehicles to pass offside to offside if there is sufficient space. Neither will then impede the other and each will have uninterrupted vision throughout to make the turn safely.

When did you last see that happen? If you attempt it there's a very high chance the other driver will not know what you are doing. Most drivers these days can't even turn into a side road with out cutting the corner and numerous junctions are marked the cross nearside to nearside. In fact many will stop on the 'main' road and flash you out, rather than try to turn right into a side road correctly! :(
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:24 pm

" When did you last see it happen"...........Almost every time when my wife and I go shopping, at a particular busy junction near my home it's offside to offside. Sadly though you are correct in that an ever growing number of drivers are too lazy to turn the steering wheel more and end up cutting the corner into turnings. It's ironic as todays steering wheels are so much easier to turn now that power assisted steering has become the norm.

Years ago I was driving some Americans to and from the hotel and the race circuit, where we were working, and they were highly amused that I made right angled turns, as they called it. Apparently they had never seen a turn done that way before. They were also highly amused when I used the back of my fork when eating. Lacking in basic etiquette these Americans. :roll: :)

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:14 am

jcochrane wrote: They were also highly amused when I used the back of my fork when eating. Lacking in basic etiquette these Americans.

Do you use the back of your spoon too? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am

Now there's a thought. :)

Return to “General Chat”