Who goes first?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Who goes first?

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:04 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I can only recall one junction I've come across like this, here. I may have come across others but never commited the layout to memory due to not coming across them that often.

Here's another.

https://goo.gl/maps/N21hTTWoL972

I think you'll find you've come across plenty. It is fairly common at a cross-roads that have Stop signs to have them on both roads.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:08 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
TheInsanity1234 wrote:I can only recall one junction I've come across like this, here. I may have come across others but never commited the layout to memory due to not coming across them that often.

Here's another.

https://goo.gl/maps/N21hTTWoL972

I think you'll find you've come across plenty. It is fairly common at a cross-roads that have Stop signs to have them on both roads.

Quite, as I said I've probably driven through a few hundred if not thousands of junctions like that, just don't do them regularly enough to actually remember them! I've an awful memory, I can happily drive a 200 mile journey and then arrive at the end and only remember short snippets of the journey! I hope it's due to me dedicating my brain power to thinking about how to drive safely, and not due to just zoning out!

Triquet wrote:The junction that 1234 flagged up above is just up the road from Wantage and has the stop signs because the visibility is really bad. We went through this a few time t'other weekend on the driving day ...

If you drove through a village called Lambourn, that's the village my parents live in!

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:02 pm

Yup, we also discovered that there is a cross-roads in the middle of Lambourn with zero visibility if you come from one direction!

Cloggie

Postby Cloggie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:44 am

This is one type of situation I struggled with when moving to the UK now many years ago. In Holland, the rule is clear - if you are turning, you have to give way to the oncoming traffic going straight on. Not sure how things are done in other countries.

The Dutch also offer their rule book in English nowadays in case you are curious how things are done across the Channel:
https://staticresources.rijkswaterstaat ... 1-9389.pdf

The relevant bit is

Article 18
1 Drivers intending to turn must give way to all
oncoming vehicles and also to all vehicles
travelling behind them in the same direction on
their leftž or right.
2 Drivers intending to turn leftž must give way to
oncoming drivers intending to turn right at the
same road junction.
3 In exception to part one drivers who are situated
behind a driver who has moved to the leftž or right
lane or who is driving in the extreme leftž or right
lane of his carriageway and who has indicated his
intention to turn off must cede priority to that
driver.
4 Parts one through three do not apply to tram drivers.

This only talks about "vehicles" but the same holds when the oncoming road user is a cyclist or moped rider (unless that has changed).

hir

Postby hir » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 am

Cloggie wrote:This is one type of situation I struggled with when moving to the UK now many years ago. In Holland, the rule is clear - if you are turning, you have to give way to the oncoming traffic going straight on. Not sure how things are done in other countries.

The Dutch also offer their rule book in English nowadays in case you are curious how things are done across the Channel:
https://staticresources.rijkswaterstaat ... 1-9389.pdf

The relevant bit is

Article 18
1 Drivers intending to turn must give way to all
oncoming vehicles and also to all vehicles
travelling behind them in the same direction on
their leftž or right.
2 Drivers intending to turn leftž must give way to
oncoming drivers intending to turn right at the
same road junction.
3 In exception to part one drivers who are situated
behind a driver who has moved to the leftž or right
lane or who is driving in the extreme leftž or right
lane of his carriageway and who has indicated his
intention to turn off must cede priority to that
driver.
4 Parts one through three do not apply to tram drivers.

This only talks about "vehicles" but the same holds when the oncoming road user is a cyclist or moped rider (unless that has changed).

Wow! So many rules; so many instructions; so much to think about. Why does this extract instantly bring to mind... "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools." ? (Solon, the Lawmaker of Athens, d. 559 BC)

It's no wonder the Dutch cycle everywhere, having to drive by numbers must be a nightmare. :o

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm

Straight ahead may have priority but UK law is pretty weak on this along with many other motoring 'facts'. It perhaps relies on our contentious system of law whereas in other countries it may, and I say may, be more clear cut.

Silk

Postby Silk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Don't care. There are far more important things to worry about.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:54 am

TheInsanity1234 wrote:I've probably driven through a few hundred if not thousands of junctions like that, just don't do them regularly enough to actually remember them! I've an awful memory, I can happily drive a 200 mile journey and then arrive at the end and only remember short snippets of the journey! I hope it's due to me dedicating my brain power to thinking about how to drive safely, and not due to just zoning out!

There's a huge amount of safety frothing about 'distracted driving' when the simple truth is that we have to focus our attention - and that means ignoring loads of things, whether we like it or not, whether it's beneficial or not. What you're describing is common, but if it had been the same journey in appalling weather then you would probably have arrived tired, with memories of the drive. There are risks: going on autopilot can take you the wrong way at junctions (when arriving at the A34 M4 junction, if we're going West then Filly will remind me that I'm not going to work!).
Whether or not you're 'safer' with or without that extra concentration on the driving task is a good question :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Kats Dad

Postby Kats Dad » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:24 pm

Advice on what to do in circumstances described can be found in The Official DSA Guide to Driving the essential skills. It's on page 175 in my 2009 copy.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:55 pm

TheInsanity1234 wrote: I suppose the question which would be more challenging is what if the two cars met each other, and both wanted to turn right? As in that case, both cars would be crossing the path of the other, and both cars would be distrupting the flow of traffic!.

The advice here is for the two right turning vehicles to pass offside to offside if there is sufficient space. Neither will then impede the other and each will have uninterrupted vision throughout to make the turn safely.

Return to “General Chat”