Who goes first?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
TheInsanity1234

Who goes first?

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:28 am

Came across this on my facebook feed.

Who goes first? I always presumed it was a case of "first come, first served", but if two cars arrived at the same time, who has right of way?

akirk

Re: Who goes first?

Postby akirk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:25 am

Right of way is not really a thing in our traffic laws, it is more normally phrased as priority, which does tie in with your understanding of ‘first dibs’ for whoever arrives first...

However if both are there at an identical time then car A is disrupting the flow of traffic so I would expect car B to go first... or rather, take priority... the Highway Code doesn’t specifically specify this situation (from memory!) but does recommend passing right to right - ie behind the other car if both turning right which would also support car A ceding priority to car B

Ultimately, both cars should be aware of the other and manage the situation rather than standing on their ‘rights’

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 am

Which one is the bigger 4x4 or Audi? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:51 am

I'm with Akirk. I was always taught the vehicle crossing the path of a vehicle going straight was the one that should wait.

Similar to you should allow a vehicle coming up a hill to have priority, and the vehicles having to use the opposing lane to pass parked vehicles should give way.

Of course with the standard of driving ever on the decline, I regularly experience these not being observed. Especially by those in Horse's comment (and BMWs).
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

hir

Postby hir » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:01 am

akirk wrote:Right of way is not really a thing in our traffic laws, it is more normally phrased as priority, which does tie in with your understanding of ‘first dibs’ for whoever arrives first...

Ultimately, both cars should be aware of the other and manage the situation rather than standing on their ‘rights’

Alasdair

... As Alasdair says.

The stupidity of the question posed is in the use of the word "must". As in... who "must" give way? In the situation described, nobody "must" do anything other than engage their brain and manage the situation having regard to maintaining safety at all times. Unfortunately, this is typical of the dumbing down of all things driving nowadays such that everything "must" be determined by a "rule". There is a perception amongst most drivers that there "must" be a "rule" for everything they come across when driving. However, when they find themselves in the situation described and they haven't got a "rule" to help them they can become any, or all, of the following... flummoxed, confused, agitated, anxious, nervous or aggressive. That's why I never ever arrive at a junction at exactly the same time as someone else. Whenever I see this type of situation developing I always accelerate as fast as my car will go just to get to the give way line first so that the oncoming fellow pollsteree can't claim that the "rule" allows him to go first!!! My "rule" in this situation is the "rule" of always getting there first, so that the other driver cannot say to me... "you've broken the "rule". I know I'm right because I learnt it from Facebook. There was this "who's an Idiot driver" poll, or something like that, so you're the idiot. Oh, and by the way it's all been recorded on my dashcam, which I've already downloaded via bluetooth to the desktop roads policing unit call centre in India." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, why is it called "Idiot UK Drivers Exposed"? A more appropriate description might be, "Idiot UK Pollsters Exposed"! :roll: :lol:

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 pm

akirk wrote:Right of way is not really a thing in our traffic laws, it is more normally phrased as priority, which does tie in with your understanding of ‘first dibs’ for whoever arrives first...

However if both are there at an identical time then car A is disrupting the flow of traffic so I would expect car B to go first... or rather, take priority... the Highway Code doesn’t specifically specify this situation (from memory!) but does recommend passing right to right - ie behind the other car if both turning right which would also support car A ceding priority to car B

Alasdair

I can only recall one junction I've come across like this, here. I may have come across others but never commited the layout to memory due to not coming across them that often. From experience, whenever cars met each other at the same time, generally people voluntarily gave way by either flashing or stopping short of the line to indicate that they were ceding priority to the other driver. I suppose the question which would be more challenging is what if the two cars met each other, and both wanted to turn right? As in that case, both cars would be crossing the path of the other, and both cars would be distrupting the flow of traffic! However in that case, my approach would be to just approach the junction slower, so the other car gets there first, and then wait just a bit short of the line to show I am letting them go first, assuming the traffic situation on the main road is such that either of us could happily join the main road without distrupting traffic flow. (A very specific situation but probably quite common in rural areas where there are a lot of STOP junctions due to poor view lines.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:49 pm

It is a standard cross-roads, albeit with mandatory stop, not give way, but that makes no difference to priority...
if both are turning right, the highway code allows either in front or behind, but prefers behind...

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:16 am

Very rare to be able to do the crossover behind the other vehicle these days as so many are already cutting the corner. :( To be honest if I'm on the main road I just ease a little so the vehicle ahead turning right across my path has completed their turn just before I arrive. I can't be bothered with the confusion it creates if you try to pass them, then turn right. You run a big risk of them turning into you.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:22 pm

The junction that 1234 flagged up above is just up the road from Wantage and has the stop signs because the visibility is really bad. We went through this a few time t'other weekend on the driving day ...

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Horse wrote:Which one is the bigger 4x4 or Audi? ;)

White van or taxi :P

Return to “General Chat”