Potential downside of speed enforcement?

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
dvenman

Re: Potential downside of speed enforcement?

Postby dvenman » Thu May 03, 2018 8:44 am

And as one who has had direct practical experience of the Victorian (Australian state, although perhaps applies to their approach to speeding enforcement) the general policing approach seems to me to be to set up speed TRAPS - and I don't use the word lightly - and use them as revenue generators.

Two examples. First, an officer with a speed gun *just* (30 / 40 metres or so) inside a 40kph limit. Second, a 5 x 5 inch "40" kph sign of the temporary type seen at roadworks, about 5 yards before a crest. Normal limit 110kph (standard for rural roads). At the bottom of the other slope of the crest was a speed trap, catching those who'd not slowed to the temporary limit at the top of the crest.

In my example, I ended up with a ticket for doing 62kph - but as I was leaving Australia inside the 28 days I had to pay I still have the ticket, and the reminder appears to have gone mysteriously astray. If I get stopped in Victoria and a warrant check is done, I may end up paying A$350 or so.

And the kicker - if it hadn't been a rental car it would have been confiscated. Leaving me a considerable distance from anywhere with decent transport links...

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu May 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Criminal :lol: what Aussie's stock comes from :D

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Fri May 04, 2018 1:10 pm

It is interesting that the ADIs etc on here talk about listening to the engine to help you manage your speed. Obviously, being profoundly deaf, it is a bit difficult for me to listen to engine speed, however I don't have an issue with unconsciously straying above the speed limit. Generally speaking, when I'm speeding, it is a conscious choice to do so.

I find that I have a heightened sense of speed, and seem to be able to estimate how fast I'm going, much more accurately than most people. I can't decide if this is just because I'm a petrolhead, or if it's because I've learnt how to judge speed etc using the senses available to me. Understandably, I do need time to get used to different cars, but after regularly travelling/driving a specific car for a short period, I do become quite good at predicting how fast I'm going without needing to rely on the speed limit.

Part of me thinks this is due to having a much better and wider peripheral vision range than most, meaning I'm able to always, sort of, see roughly where the speedometer needle is, or if this is because I'm able to just feel vibrations or whatever.

But basically, I tend to know when I'm speeding, and when I'm not.

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun May 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Yes , I have long been of that opinion , and if in a car with cruise control often use that so that I can focus my attention on more important things than worrying about being a few mph over some notional limit , often set by politicians rather than road engineers .

fungus

Postby fungus » Sun May 06, 2018 7:49 pm

These two roads have recently been reduced to 40mph. The dual carriageway was 70mph a few years ago. Then it was reduced to 50mph, and a couple of weeks ago reduced to 40mph, probably due to trafic lights being installed at a junction nearer to Poole. And yes, Dorset "Road Safety" do frequent this road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.75682 ... 312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.72798 ... 312!8i6656

Nigel.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:46 am

I know I'm late to the party (not the first time, and it wont be the last).

I cant help but think that the study was designed to give the exact results that they wanted. Which it did. It's been designed to give an absolutely obvious result, that's as clear as the nose on your face, then cloaked it in 'science' to give it credibility.

I'm also sometimes surprised at the number of Advanced drivers (hopefully not on here) that claim it is difficult to set and maintain a legal speed. I know that your "bog standard run of the mill half asleep at the wheel johnny" does, but that's more a case of lack of training, surely.

martine

Postby martine » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:54 pm

Rolyan wrote:...I cant help but think that the study was designed to give the exact results that they wanted. Which it did. It's been designed to give an absolutely obvious result, that's as clear as the nose on your face, then cloaked it in 'science' to give it credibility.

Not sure why you think that and in any case, what's wrong with gaining scientific evidence of something you suspect may be true?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Horse

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:47 pm

martine wrote:what's wrong with gaining scientific evidence of something you suspect may be true?

I challenged a mate on this years ago. He was doing 'stating the bleeding obvious' research.

His point was very valid: until scientifically proven, it's just a guess.

As an aside: just reading Ben Goldacre's Bad Pharma. Not pleasant reading. Shocking, in fact.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “General Chat”