The joys of driving in Sussex!! Webcam footage

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

The joys of driving in Sussex!! Webcam footage

Postby sussex2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:01 am

I know driving around Sussex can be 'interesting' but this person took it to new lows:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 24601.html

jont-

Re: The joys of driving in Sussex!! Webcam footage

Postby jont- » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:11 am

Personally I think all dashcam users/owners should be required to provide all footage for anyone who wants to go through and find fault with their driving. I've noticed a distint uptick in correlation between cars with dashcams fitted and substandard driving by the same car.

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 am

jont- wrote:Personally I think all dashcam users/owners should be required to provide all footage for anyone who wants to go through and find fault with their driving. I've noticed a distint uptick in correlation between cars with dashcams fitted and substandard driving by the same car.

Thanks Jont. I have a dashcam running at the moment (well not actually at the moment)

waremark

Postby waremark » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:27 am

Interesting that they obtained and used her dashcam footage to prosecute her. I worry about whether I am liable to get myself into trouble by using a dashcam.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am

jont- wrote:Personally I think all dashcam users/owners should be required to provide all footage for anyone who wants to go through and find fault with their driving. I've noticed a distint uptick in correlation between cars with dashcams fitted and substandard driving by the same car.

IIRC the police force that was asking people to submit footage specifically stated unedited, full recordings. ie Don't expect us to act on something you provoked or had the opportunity to avoid.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 am

Horse wrote:

IIRC the police force that was asking people to submit footage specifically stated unedited, full recordings. ie Don't expect us to act on something you provoked or had the opportunity to avoid.

Still not enough. Prove you are beyond reproach on all your drives and never do anything wrong. Otherwise you're a hypocrite. You want evidence to prosecute someone elses mistakes/misdemeanours, but not your own.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:39 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:

Still not enough. Prove you are beyond reproach on all your drives and never do anything wrong. Otherwise you're a hypocrite. You want evidence to prosecute someone elses mistakes/misdemeanours, but not your own.

FWIW, I don't have a dashcam, so presumably you don't mean 'me' :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

angus

Postby angus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:44 pm

waremark wrote:Interesting that they obtained and used her dashcam footage to prosecute her. I worry about whether I am liable to get myself into trouble by using a dashcam.

From reading the article, they didn't need the dashcam footage to secure a conviction, but it probably helped

angus

Postby angus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:48 pm

To each their own. From my experience, I'd sooner have the advantage of the dashcam in an incident, than worry about the potential for incrimination. I'd be interested to know tho' whether the BiB can confiscate the dashcam memory card without consent.

Apparently there are insurance companies who give discounts for dashcam users

And yes, all our cars have dashcams

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:33 pm

waremark wrote:Interesting that they obtained and used her dashcam footage to prosecute her. I worry about whether I am liable to get myself into trouble by using a dashcam.

You are - and always remember the old military adage 'What you use to protect you can be used against you'.

Return to “General Chat”