Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:55 pm

Many times.

Out of interest, does the kit recognise anything except speed limits? And if so, what does it do with the information? I think I foresee a future where drivers are so busy looking at a little screen in the car to see what the latest traffic sign was, that they forget to LOOK OUT THROUGH THE WINDSCREEN!!!
Nick

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Many times.

Out of interest, does the kit recognise anything except speed limits? And if so, what does it do with the information? I think I foresee a future where drivers are so busy looking at a little screen in the car to see what the latest traffic sign was, that they forget to LOOK OUT THROUGH THE WINDSCREEN!!!

I think we're already past that. See the number of people who blindly follow sat nav instructions without applying common sense first... :bash:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 pm

I know. It was a rhetorical question, really :( :roll: :cry: :roll: :(
Nick

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:54 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Many times.

with a HUD you can look through the windscreen to see...
alternatively, without a HUD you can look through the windscreen!

Alasdair

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Ah yes, HUDs. Another way of concentrating closer and closer to the end of your nose :D
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Ah yes, HUDs. Another way of concentrating closer and closer to the end of your nose :D

Aren't HUDs focussed so that you see them clearly when looking into the distance, rather than having to refocus from far to near to see what is displayed?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm

akirk wrote:with a HUD you can look through the windscreen to see...
alternatively, without a HUD you can look through the windscreen!

Shouldn't that be 'without an HUD, you might have to look away from the road ahead to get the same information'?

But, along with my previous post, this may well depend on what is being displayed and how. For example, if it's an infinity focus system overlaying IR views at night that simply are not available from the visible light, then looking ahead or away may not be as good.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:12 pm

I've only ever driven a car with one, once. I can't honestly remember. But in order to assimilate information, you have to divert your attention to it. The temptation is for manufacturers to incorporate lots of wizzy graphics, which will end up being more and more of a distraction from the real world.

(and yes, point taken about having to look away if it isn't there, but you don't spend your whole time looking away...)

PS what is the point of using IR if the human eye can't see it?
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:09 pm

The point, AFAIK, of IR is to supplement normal vision where visible light isn't sufficient.

As far as info being a distraction, although I've never driven one, I like the idea of reducing the number of things illuminated at night, as done by SAAB several years ago.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:PS what is the point of using IR if the human eye can't see it?

Surely that IS the point. ;)

The display gives a visual version, that you can see, of the real world IR, that you can't. Things like nice warm bodies dressed in black.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”