Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Strangely Brown

Re: Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:41 am

Horse wrote:The point, AFAIK, of IR is to supplement normal vision where visible light isn't sufficient.

As far as info being a distraction, although I've never driven one, I like the idea of reducing the number of things illuminated at night, as done by SAAB several years ago.

"NightPanel" is quite possibly the most useful "feature" that I have ever had in any car that I have owned. Until you have used it you have no idea just how much difference it makes and how much more you can see outside the car.

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:PS what is the point of using IR if the human eye can't see it?

Surely that IS the point. ;)

The display gives a visual version, that you can see, of the real world IR, that you can't. Things like nice warm bodies dressed in black.

FWIW, my old ProTek bike suit, which was foil lined, was so well insulated that PIR security lights wouldn't work!
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:55 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:The display gives a visual version, that you can see, of the real world IR, that you can't. Things like nice warm bodies dressed in black.

Ah, right. Thank you. Not moving in those circles, I had no idea how it worked. So it's not trying to show you IR, it's converting an IR image into visible light.

Strangely Brown wrote:
Horse wrote:...As far as info being a distraction, although I've never driven one, I like the idea of reducing the number of things illuminated at night, as done by SAAB several years ago.

"NightPanel" is quite possibly the most useful "feature" that I have ever had in any car that I have owned. Until you have used it you have no idea just how much difference it makes and how much more you can see outside the car.

I like that idea very much, although I've never owned a SAAB. I mentioned it in my night driving guide a few years ago. I always have my dash lights down as far as they will go and try to minimise other light sources inside the car. The other day when driving a hired minibus with a colleague, I had to ask him to angle his phone away from me (he was passengering) so it didn't destroy my night vision.
Nick

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 am

jont- wrote:See the number of people who blindly follow sat nav instructions without applying common sense first... :bash:

I'm not convinced that's a fair summation; I wonder if this only becomes an issue when drivers are already feeling under a lot of pressure, then succumb to the 'authority' of the automated instructions.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

titian

Postby titian » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:41 am

In response to my simple question emailed to JLR Customer Services:-

"A month or so ago I purchased the above vehicle. In addition to the standard specification I added packs to give me the head-up display, vision assist including the pixel laser LED headlights. I also have the lane departure warning system operated via the forward facing camera. I would like to have the Traffic Sign Recognition system enabled as it appears that all the necessary hardware is already in place, will you please arrange for that to be done for me and notify me of any incidental costs that may be involved."

I have today recieved the response:-

"I am happy to learn of your recent purchase and that of the Range Rover sport.

Unfortunately we at Land Rover cannot recommend any modifications to this vehicle which will move it away from the original build specifications this vehicle would have left our factory with and for this reason we can not recommend any changes.
Apologies we are unable to assist you further."

I shall respond in an approptiate way to their totally unhelpful response - maybe just for my own satisfaction. I've now been rebuffed by JLR following a couple of approaches to two different departments.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:35 pm

My advice is to go to the top and leave out the middle men.
I did this a few years ago with VW and the problem was sorted out.
The performance of the local (SEAT) dealer was pathetic and the customer service people almost as bad ie; working to a script.

https://www.ceoemail.com/

There are other similar websites.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 pm

I wouldn't be asking for it to be enabled. I'd be asking for the vehicle to have the features you ordered.

The wording of your email sounds like YOU got it wrong, rather than not receiving what you discussed and believed you'd ordered. Never show any weakness or lack of conviction in your correspondence.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Was there any progress on this?

Return to “General Chat”