Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:19 am

My progression would be:
Salesman
Dealer Principal
Go nuclear

Escalation initially to Customer Services to tick the box but without expectation of anything beyond being fobbed off, then try and find contact details for UK marketing / sales director etc

I'd also be gathering evidence, such as anything identified in this thread, online configuration, sales brochures, published reviews, to make the case that it was an expectation and intention that you were not warned was N/A.

I always give a couple of chances for the'system' to fix it, but experience says that unless one person takes the initiative to fix it and has the authority to do so, you have a fight.

And it could be that JLR have found it doesn't work well enough, hence N/A - perhaps you need to challenge them with a simple question: does it work? If yes = fix it. If no, then you need to decide how much, both grief and £, it's worth . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:21 am

Perhaps it might be worthing asking them what does the TSR option require that your car does not already have?

titian

Postby titian » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:47 am

martine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 am
Rather than speaking with the local sales team, have you tried talking to JLR customer service/support? I'd like to think having spent a significant amount of money on a premium car and not being totally satisfied, they would come to an arrangement...but perhaps that's me being naïve.

I have been talking to a senior member of the JLR customer services team for some 3 weeks now, I put to her all the points discussed here, last Thursday the conversation ended abruptly with "so it can't be retro fitted" without any reasoned explanation". I've had many conversations with the salesman who kick the can down the road back to JLR.

Post by Strangely Brown » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am
Perhaps it might be worthing asking them what does the TSR option require that your car does not already have?

Good point, I'll give this ago.

Post by Horse » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:19 am
My progression would be:
Salesman
Dealer Principal
Go nuclear

Interesting 3rd option!
Thanks to all for suggestions, I'm trawling the interweb for ideas but few are turning up so far, I'll rattle the dealers cage today.

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am

Unfortunately about all large companies seem to care about these days is social meedja. If you can come up with some pithy complaint on twitter you might actually get somewhere, but equally complaining about the lack of a [seemingly] minor feature on a /very expensive car/ may not be met with sympathy in general.

hir

Postby hir » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:01 pm

This is an interesting topic, albeit very frustrating for the OP

In the grand scheme of things having spent loads of mega-money on a prestige car that satisfies the customer's lifestyle perspective, the absence of an anticipated TSR is a somewhat insignificant matter (let's call that "The JLR viewpoint).

However, from the customer's perspective the absent TSR, which he thought he'd spec'd and had paid for, is a mega disappointment and can completely take the edge off the purchase of his new pride and joy ( let's call that the customer's point of view].

Unless the fix is a simple one, and who knows the answer to that question, it's difficult to see either side changing the point of view of the other.

I can see only two courses of action in a case like this:

1. Try and batter JLR into submission by sheer persistence. Make it clear you're not going away until they either fix the problem or give you a refund on the option you thought you'd paid for. However, if they continue to be intransigent then there is probably no point in going down the legal redress route given the job sheet evidence.

2. For the future. My advice is never, ever, trust a car salesman to know his product (but you probably now know this already). I've dealt with BMW, Mercedes, Audi and VW salesmen who didn't know, or understand, much of the detail. They are trained to sell cars and finance, not to know about cars. I recently bought a factory order Audi, not particularly high-spec, but I spent an hour going over the spec on the Audi website before going to the Audi main dealer where I spent an hour and a half poring over every line and item of spec on the order before signing the paperwork. The problem is that the car manufacturers package their car options into "lifestyle" packages - if you want heated seats you have to buy the full package of winter driving accessories costing £6,500, 90% of which you don't want [OK, I exaggerate a bit but you get the idea!].

Anyway, good luck with this. I know it must be incredibly frustrating and disappointing to find yourself in this situation.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:01 pm

hir wrote:...The problem is that the car manufacturers package their car options into "lifestyle" packages - if you want heated seats you have to buy the full package of winter driving accessories costing £6,500, 90% of which you don't want [OK, I exaggerate a bit but you get the idea!].

Yes I don't understand why if the car is being built to order, you can't specify exactly the options you want...are there any mass manufacturers that do this?

I had this frustration with my rather more modest Focus ST - I didn't particularly want leather seats but I did want Xenon headlights...ST3 has both, ST2 can't have Xenons. I'm guessing it's more to do with marketing and extracting the maximum amount of spondoolies from the customer than potential problems on the production line...my understanding is the cars are individually produced - each one being different to it's neighbours rather than batches of identical spec.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:32 pm

martine wrote:
hir wrote:...The problem is that the car manufacturers package their car options into "lifestyle" packages - if you want heated seats you have to buy the full package of winter driving accessories costing £6,500, 90% of which you don't want [OK, I exaggerate a bit but you get the idea!].

Yes I don't understand why if the car is being built to order, you can't specify exactly the options you want...are there any mass manufacturers that do this?

I had this frustration with my rather more modest Focus ST - I didn't particularly want leather seats but I did want Xenon headlights...ST3 has both, ST2 can't have Xenons. I'm guessing it's more to do with marketing and extracting the maximum amount of spondoolies from the customer than potential problems on the production line...my understanding is the cars are individually produced - each one being different to it's neighbours rather than batches of identical spec.

I suspect you are into the 'Autobiography / SVO' type orders with LR / RR / Bentley / etc. - where you can specify whatever you want - as long as you can afford to not ask the cost...

however, for everyone else, it is all very carefully planned to maximise the costs for those ordering...

Alasdair

mainbeam

Postby mainbeam » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:44 pm

titian wrote: I also added the Vision Assist Pro package including head-up display, surround camera system, whilst discussing with the salesman that to see the road speed together with the Traffic Sign Recognition system in the head-up display is exactly what I was looking for.
Did the salesman recall this, or at least accept you may have said it, when you spoke to him subsequently?

hir

Postby hir » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm

martine wrote:Yes I don't understand why if the car is being built to order, you can't specify exactly the options you want...are there any mass manufacturers that do this?

Yes, every car on the production line is built to an individual and unique purchase order. The best place to see this in action is the Mini assembly line at Oxford; well worth the £15 fee for the tour of the production line. Each car has a production-line transponder attached which carries the vehicle's unique build requirements. The cars' specified components are then fed into the assembly line in the exact order of the assembly line to match the specifications ordered for each car produced. It's quite fascinating to watch.

And, yes, I agree, the extras are bundled into packages, partly to keep production costs down, but also to extract the largest amount of cash possible from the customer. And, to bring us back to where we started, which is about car salesmen being trained to sell cars and finance and not understanding most of the details, we can now understand that a salesman's job is to sell us the bundle of extras, half of which we don't want or need, and then persuade us to buy it because although it adds another million zillion pounds onto the list price it'll only cost another £10 a month over five years on his amazingly cheap finance deal. He doesn't tell us that it will just add a million zillion pounds to the balloon at the end of five years! :o

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:41 pm

hir wrote:And, to bring us back to where we started, which is about car salesmen being trained to sell cars and finance and not understanding most of the details, we can now understand that a salesman's job is to sell us the bundle of extras, half of which we don't want or need, and then persuade us to buy it because although it adds another million zillion pounds onto the list price it'll only cost another £10 a month over five years on his amazingly cheap finance deal. He doesn't tell us that it will just add a million zillion pounds to the balloon at the end of five years! :o

Don't forget the "residuals" BS line too ;)

Return to “General Chat”