Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Re: Bought a new Range Rover Sport HSE Dynamic

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Of course, it would be interesting to know what might happen with a similar enquiry, 'mystery shopper's style, at another dealer - whether they would 'sell' the same spec vehicle . . .
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

titian

Postby titian » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:12 pm

I "discovered" this afternoon that I have the "086DBC Lane Departure Warning" system, not something I have specified, so is it part of the basic spec? The interesting point is that it relies on a forwards facing camera! Could that be the same camera as would be used in the Traffic Sign Recognition system, I really cant believe that there are two forward facing cameras in the vehicle. I'm back to believing that a software "switch" may be all that is required to give me what I want.

Maybe Land Rover in their quest to maximise profits attempt to "sell" the same camera at least twice (in my case) or do they actually install 2 forward facing cameras?

By the way crroo3, were you able to negotiate a discount?

angus

Postby angus » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:31 pm

IMHO you should count yourself lucky. I had an XE as a hire car with it fitted and it was very good at spotting irrelevent signs (with countdown markers or on side roads) or missing signs that were slightly obscured.

Otherwise I'm quite jealous

crr003

Postby crr003 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:17 pm

titian wrote:I "discovered" this afternoon that I have the "086DBC Lane Departure Warning" system, not something I have specified, so is it part of the basic spec? The interesting point is that it relies on a forwards facing camera! Could that be the same camera as would be used in the Traffic Sign Recognition system, I really cant believe that there are two forward facing cameras in the vehicle. I'm back to believing that a software "switch" may be all that is required to give me what I want.

Maybe Land Rover in their quest to maximise profits attempt to "sell" the same camera at least twice (in my case) or do they actually install 2 forward facing cameras?

Lane Departure Warning appears to be a standard feature.

Your "Vision Assist Pro Pack" includes "four digital cameras discretely placed around the vehicle, providing a 360° overhead view on the Touchscreen. With the capacity to display several different views at the same time, this helps with various manoeuvres from parking by a kerb, to getting in and out of tight spaces and junctions."

titian wrote:By the way crroo3, were you able to negotiate a discount?

:shock: Sorry - I've just been playing with the online configurator to try and see what the options are/do - I'm not in the market for a real one!

It would be nice to think the salesman knew what he was selling, or at least had the decency to come to some arrangement over this issue.

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:02 pm

FWIW, someone on Twitter commented that his Audi's sign recognition system didn't identify a '55' sign that was on trial in motorway roadworks.

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:11 am

I seem to remember reading somewhere that some signs in the UK are not understood by these systems.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 am

sussex2 wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that some signs in the UK are not understood by these systems.

Catching up - or lagging - with human drivers, then . . .

titian

Postby titian » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:55 am

crroo3 wrote:
Your "Vision Assist Pro Pack" includes "four digital cameras discretely placed around the vehicle, providing a 360° overhead view on the Touchscreen. With the capacity to display several different views at the same time, this helps with various manoeuvres from parking by a kerb, to getting in and out of tight spaces and junctions."

Yes, operated via a touch screen where the required views can be displayed. I've spent some time in the corner of a supermarket car park familiarising myself with the system. Using the cameras located in the bottom of the wing mirrors the ground view of both sides of the vehicle can seen at once, ideal for centralising the vehicle in a parking bay. Up front, on approaching an obscured junction, hit the front cameras icon to see right and left as you "peep & creep". Practice will smarten up my use of this technology especially when reverse parking on the busy main street where speedy dexterity is required.

Back to the missing Traffic Sign Recognition system, the more I learn of what is actually fitted to the vehicle the more I believe that Land Rover's stance that it can't be retro fitted is perhaps the standard response rather than what actually could be done if the issue crossed the desk of someone who could make decisions.

crr003

Postby crr003 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:18 am

titian wrote:Back to the missing Traffic Sign Recognition system, the more I learn of what is actually fitted to the vehicle the more I believe that Land Rover's stance that it can't be retro fitted is perhaps the standard response rather than what actually could be done if the issue crossed the desk of someone who could make decisions.

I like this.

If I simply added the "Drive Pack" option to the configurator, it had to add the "Auto-dimming exterior mirrors" option - implying there was something (cameras!) in the mirrors as you have explained.

The good news is you purchased the "Vision Assist Pro Pack", which includes the Auto-dimming exterior mirrors, so I can understand someone might initially state you can't have TSR as a simple software thing - they'd see the option to add the clever mirrors and baulk, as the option to include mirrors and Drive Pack is £725.

martine

Postby martine » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:06 am

Rather than speaking with the local sales team, have you tried talking to JLR customer service/support? I'd like to think having spent a significant amount of money on a premium car and not being totally satisfied, they would come to an arrangement...but perhaps that's me being naïve.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “General Chat”