EV sales down

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Triquet

Re: EV sales down

Postby Triquet » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Whether ICE or EV, cars still will need tyres, brake pads, brake discs, drive shafts, suspension bushes, shock absorbers, bulbs, furry dice etc.

Pontoneer

Postby Pontoneer » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:39 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Horse wrote:Is the early (and relatively wealthy) adopters market now saturated?

I imagine so. They are ridiculously expensive, and I imagine not everybody wants to shell out for the infrastructure to charge them at home, on top of the price of the car. The savings in BIK tax for company car drivers may be an incentive, but it's a non-tangible thing. For the normal motorist, the fuel savings may be juicy, but you still have to find the capital cost of the car.

Perhaps it’s different south of the border , but here in Scotland every buyer of an EV gets a grant to cover the cost of having a charge point installed at home .

Add in that , in Scotland , all public charge points are free to use , and they are being installed in places like railway station car parks , workplace car parks , motorway services as well as on street , and there is , for now , little difficulty in finding one .

Then there is the three year interest free loan from Scottish Government to help with the cost of purchasing, and it becomes more attractive.

jont-

Postby jont- » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Pontoneer wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Horse wrote:Is the early (and relatively wealthy) adopters market now saturated?

I imagine so. They are ridiculously expensive, and I imagine not everybody wants to shell out for the infrastructure to charge them at home, on top of the price of the car. The savings in BIK tax for company car drivers may be an incentive, but it's a non-tangible thing. For the normal motorist, the fuel savings may be juicy, but you still have to find the capital cost of the car.

Perhaps it’s different south of the border , but here in Scotland every buyer of an EV gets a grant to cover the cost of having a charge point installed at home .

Add in that , in Scotland , all public charge points are free to use , and they are being installed in places like railway station car parks , workplace car parks , motorway services as well as on street , and there is , for now , little difficulty in finding one .

Then there is the three year interest free loan from Scottish Government to help with the cost of purchasing, and it becomes more attractive.

No doubt all being paid for by the English :bash:

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:31 pm

Certainly none of those things here, that I'm aware of. That said, I still love ICEs and will continue to use them while they make economical sense. I certainly can't justify spending 65k of my savings on an electric vehicle that'll outlive me by a factor of at least 10.
Nick

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:17 pm

+1 Nick

DJP31

Postby DJP31 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:21 pm

There is a grant available in England for the purchase and installation of a charge point, providing you choose one that’s on the list. Unfortunately that’s it, the charging network north of the border makes England’s look very poor by comparison, and a complete shambles. You need goodness knows how many apps and cards, it needs a real sorting out.

Return to “General Chat”