I-Pace

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
DJP31

Re: I-Pace

Postby DJP31 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:06 pm

Taffy wrote:
dvenman wrote:Can you plumb in one of those little bar heaters? After all, they're electric!

I'm not sure of the heater size that's built in. It feels like about 500W. It's got a 22kWh battery, so I reckon they could risk 1kW or so, since I don't expect to go more than 4 hours on a single charge, even driving in congested urban traffic. 4kWh out of the 22kWh to keep warm feels like a reasonable compromise on a cold winter day.

When the Tesla heater is going full whack it draws 6kW but obviously drops significantly once the cabin has reached temperature. In the morning the cabin heating/defrosting etc comes on whilst I’m plugged into the house, so draw power from there and not the battery. I don’t miss scraping the ice off the ICE or sitting in a freezing car waiting for it to warm up.

DJP31

Re: I-Pace

Postby DJP31 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:20 pm

Jonquirk wrote:Presumably heat produced by the machine is being ducted away. Maybe the car could use a winter setting that routes it via the cabin.

TBH I don’t think the motors generate much heat, at least I’ve not read about them doing so. The battery certainly, and keeping that at the best operating temperature is the key to longevity and efficiency. Batteries don’t like extremes, so in this cold weather the regeneration of energy being fed back to battery is limited until the battery reaches a certain temperature. It can initially be disconcerting as the braking effect when lifting off the accelerator is reduced during this time.

At the other end of the spectrum when the battery gets too hot (as it did whilst I was under the direction of Andy Morrison of HPC fame at Bruntingthorpe) the battery management system will reduce the available power.

Return to “General Chat”