First accident...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
waremark

Re: First accident...

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:55 pm

Unfortunately none of this will make any difference to you. You will have an at fault claim on your record, whether or not the insurance company end up paying out to the scumbag passenger.

At the moment I am running a dash cam. I have mixed feelings about the pros and cons.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:51 am

Well it sort of will.

I did some test quotes using some false details, and the value of the claim definitely made a difference.

If it was a reasonably low value claim, say <£1k, then it didn't boost my premiums as much as a claim which was up in the £5k region.

And anyhow, if the vehicle inspector inspects the taxi and decides that the damage on the taxi doesn't correlate with the damage to my car, they may decide not to pay out after all and I'll get my no claims back!

Unlikely, but one can dream!

waremark

Postby waremark » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:58 am

Interesting, thanks, good luck.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am

Unfortunately, if your insurers have to fight the supposedly fraudulent injury claim in court, this could affect your insuance. Seven or eight years ago a boy on a bycycle rode out from behind a six foot wall into the side of my car causing about £600 of damage. Although there was no fault on my behalf, my insurers spent in excess of £4500 on an investigater to cover themselves in the event of a no win no fee injury claim against them. This had an effect on my premium for five years. In the end, no claim for injury was ever made.

At the end of January my wifes car was hit by an ambulance. The car was parked in a side street in Salisbury, and when she came back from shopping there was a note under the windscren wiper with the details of the event and contact numbers. No problem getting the car repaired, but as the accident was close to her renewal date, and South West Abulances insurers were known to take a long time to settle, the claim it went against her. When the renewal came through the premium had increased from £250 to £580 as it was then an at fault claim. When she asked if there would be a downward adjustment once costs waere re-couperated, she was told that there was no guaratee that she would be re-imbursed with the difference. Her broker found another company that would refund the difference. Whilst I accept that insuance has increased, it is tantemount to theft if a claim is settled and costs recovered when the customer is charged the higher amount prior to the settlement of a claim and then not refunded the difference.

Nigel.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 am

It can get worse :( Filly had a non-fault claim after a guy drive into the back of her car when she was stationary. His insurers paid up, so no cost to her. But the fact that she'd even had to claim put up my insurance! [Named driver on my policy]

If I'd known this was likely, I would have had it added to the claim for incidental expenses or similar.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:00 am

I'm under the impression that it's not only the injury claim my insurance company think is fraudulent. They think I've caused the damage to the rear bumper of the taxi, but the taxi company are now trying to claim for damage to the front of the taxi too, so my insurance company are doing their best to investigate the fraudulent aspect, and if they deem the claim for the front bumper and the injury claims to be fraudulent, they've said they'll refuse to pay out at all.

akirk

Postby akirk » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 am

Horse wrote:It can get worse :( Filly had a non-fault claim after a guy drive into the back of her car when she was stationary. His insurers paid up, so no cost to her. But the fact that she'd even had to claim put up my insurance! [Named driver on my policy]

If I'd known this was likely, I would have had it added to the claim for incidental expenses or similar.

Sadly - that would have been struck out as I am pretty sure it is not allowable as an expense...
the insurance company logic is:
- accident not your fault
- but you were in a place where accidents of that nature happen (i.e. urban / particular area / etc.)
- the fact that an accident happened to you means that statistically your pattern of driving / geography makes you higher risk
- higher risk puts up the premium

and there is an element of logic in that - e.g. if you lived on an estate where joy-riding was rife, then your car being hit may not be your fault, but is confirmation of the fact that it may happen again - so the risk is seen to have increased...

no action of yours caused the accident - but an action of yours chose to be in that place at that time and statistically there is evidence that shows that non-fault claimants are more likely to claim again...

Alasdair

sussex2

Postby sussex2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:33 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:It's an American list, obviously, but up to that point certainly interesting.

Anyone who has ever had the dubious pleasure of being served freshly brewed coffee (filter type) in the U.S. will also find that interesting; for myself I have generally found it most useful as a laxative - what they put in the stuff I've no idea.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am

sussex2 wrote: I have generally found it most useful as a laxative - what they put in the stuff I've no idea.

When Threads Collide - motorcyclist hi-viz.

Riders often find that driver behaviour at junctions has a similar effect ;) :lol:
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

martine

Postby martine » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:16 am

Could it be the passenger and driver are in it together...you know...split the compensation?

As has been said, stick to your story...it would have been helpful to take photos of the scene and also get any witnesses...always a high priority when you are involved in any sort of RTC these days.

Keep us posted about developments...I hope the 'passenger' gets their claim rejected and details passed to the police for prosecution for fraud.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Return to “General Chat”