First accident...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
jont-

Re: First accident...

Postby jont- » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:38 pm

martine wrote:.I hope the 'passenger' gets their claim rejected and details passed to the police for prosecution for fraud.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and yet :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
While absolutely this /should/ be what happens, I bet there's FA chance of plod taking any interest at all.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:59 pm

martine wrote:Could it be the passenger and driver are in it together...you know...split the compensation?

As has been said, stick to your story...it would have been helpful to take photos of the scene and also get any witnesses...always a high priority when you are involved in any sort of RTC these days.

Keep us posted about developments...I hope the 'passenger' gets their claim rejected and details passed to the police for prosecution for fraud.

I hope not...

Regardless, insurers know my side of the story, and they said it correlates with the initial story given by the driver at first, so the fact the other sides have suddenly changed their stories gives me more credibility in my insurer's eyes, apparently.
Forgot to take pictures, as I was freaking out, since it was my first accident, so did things the wrong way. I have a witness, my sister's boyfriend wasn't in the car, but he came to the scene after the accident, after we'd pulled over, and he said the taxi driver made no mention of damage to the front, and he's willing to go to court and state that. He also said the passenger seemed fine after the accident.

Loads of evidence to show that although I'm at fault for driving into the taxi, the accident was in no way major enough to injure or shunt the taxi forwards.

I really hope the sodding passenger and taxi company get prosecuted for fraud, but since we're talking relatively low value compared to other kinds of fraud, I doubt the police will have much interest in it.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:02 pm

I'll be fitting a dash cam to my car as soon as it's back from Essex. My sister has the car at the moment. I have a dash cam, ready to be fitted.

The video evidence will certainly have proved that I was at fault, but it'd also prove the accident was nowhere near as major as the passenger and taxi company are claiming.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Horse wrote:It can get worse :( Filly had a non-fault claim after a guy drive into the back of her car when she was stationary. His insurers paid up, so no cost to her. But the fact that she'd even had to claim put up my insurance! [Named driver on my policy]

If I'd known this was likely, I would have had it added to the claim for incidental expenses or similar.

I notified Adrian Flux of the wifes accident when my insurance came up for renewal a couple of weeks ago. In my case, my wife was not a named driver on my policy as it is an any driver policy. There for, no effect on my premium.

Nigel.

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:51 pm

On the telly a few days ago there was one of those caught red handed type programmes dealing with fraud. One incident involved two busses. One, whilst pulling out around the other caught the rear screen with the ns mirror smashing the screen. A passenger on the stationary bus put in a claim for whiplash, which the bus insurers investigated. The woman could be seen sitting in her seat stuffing her face. Hearing the bang she looked round, then got up and left the bus. There was absolutely no way that she had sustained an injury, she didn't even move in her seat. Due to the number of cameras on the bus ,the evidence was there for all to see and the claim was declined.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:49 am

If I'd had a camera fitted to the car, it would have recorded the passenger getting out and having a go at me, about what, I didn't understand, but he was having a go at me, and he was perfectly uninjured.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:32 pm

So, just as an update.

Still no progress with the case/claim.

My father contacted the insurance company to ask for an update, and their update was that after they recieved the inspection report of my car, they contacted the "opponents" [insurer's word] to request colour photographs of the other car showing the damage, and for an inspection of the damage for an independent report. However, my insurers have still not recieved any pictures or an inspection report.

This makes me wonder how long an insurance company would wait for before rejecting a third party claim due to lack of communication, as understandably, they are handling multiple cases and thus having a case open for a long time with no progress must be a waste of their time and resources.

Furthermore, leaving a case open for a long time would certainly increase the risk of a payout for the insurance company, and thus if a reasonable deadline has been exceeded with no progress, it would be in the interest of the insurer to close the case to prevent any further payouts.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:34 am

Sigh... Just got a notification from my insurers that the TP's insurance company have decided to start court proceedings because my insurers are refusing to pay out for repairs as the TP is yet to offer any photographs of the damage he is claiming I have caused, and is yet to offer an opportunity for an inspection by an accident expert to be done. Consequently, all my insurance company have to go on is just a couple of photographs of my car's damage, and an inspection report where the expert confidently confirmed that the damage to my car is not consistient with a crash of the magnitude the driver is claiming it to be. This means my insurers are (understandably) hesistant to pay out for repairs to the front bumper/whiplash claim because all the evidence offered to them from me suggests a very low speed impact.

Why are people such...(insert choice profanity here).

I wish I had a dash cam now - would have certainly made my life vastly easier, as the video evidence would prove speed/force of impact, and would have proved that the taxi sustained very light repairable damage only to the rear bumper.

What I had hoped would have been a simple £500 claim off my insurance is now being escalated into a bloody day in court because the shitting taxi driver just can't step back and admit they were making things up a bit. I sorely hope their case gets thrown out of court and they end up becoming liable for all the costs etc, and I get my NCB back, although that is slowly becoming less likely every day...

:soap:

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:16 am

Sorry this has happened to you :( A few questions:

- Do you (or parents) have any legal cover via payment (included or extra) on car or home insurance, or breakdown membership?
- Are you still a student, if so can the NUS help?
- Will the insurance company either support you or provide a copy of the expert's report and original statements etc.?

I have no experience of preparing for a court appearance; I imagine you need to have larger copies of the pictures of the [lack of] damage. Possibly someone else here could advise on how to make your case as solid as possible?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:47 am

Horse wrote:Sorry this has happened to you :( A few questions:

- Do you (or parents) have any legal cover via payment (included or extra) on car or home insurance, or breakdown membership?
- Are you still a student, if so can the NUS help?
- Will the insurance company either support you or provide a copy of the expert's report and original statements etc.?

I have no experience of preparing for a court appearance; I imagine you need to have larger copies of the pictures of the [lack of] damage. Possibly someone else here could advise on how to make your case as solid as possible?

- I believe the court action is not against me, but against my insurers, so my insurance company are basically off to court to defend themselves, but they said they most likely will call me up as the main witness. We have fully comprehensive insurance cover on our multicar policy so I think legal cover is included too, which may be handy for speaking to solitictors regarding how best to prepare statements etc, but I think the insurance company are funding all the legal stuff regardless as the court proceedings appear to be against them.
- I am indeed a student! Didn't realise the NUS could help with legal stuff... I may do some digging and see what our chances are in court, and whether it would be considered as a valid case or whether it'll be chucked out due to pretty much total lack of evidence on the taxi's part.
- As above, I think it's the insurance company defending themselves, not me being taken to court, but regardless, the fact they're even doing it is infuriating as all this is doing is putting up both our insurance premiums, along with everybody else's as the company now have to fund all sorts of legal nonsense to defend themselves!

I may be wrong and they may be taking me to court, in which case I'm not sure what they can do as I'm a student with literally no savings, so unless they're happy with compensation being paid at about 50p a week, for the next 20 odd years, there's not much they can do to me!

Return to “General Chat”