Learners on motorways

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
martine

Learners on motorways

Postby martine » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:45 pm

"The DVSA have announced that driving instructors will be allowed to take learners on motorways from 4 June 2018.
Only approved driving instructors with dual controlled cars will be allowed to give motorway lessons. They will only do this if they are confident the learner has the skills and knowledge to drive on the motorway safely."

Thoughts?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Re: Learners on motorways

Postby akirk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:56 pm

Considering the disappointing standards of some current motorway drivers, I don't think that they will be the worst drivers on the motorway!
Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:06 pm

I think it is a good idea but I'm sure the instructors will feel very vulnerable. Especially if sticking rigorously to the displayed speed on the dash.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I think it is a good idea but I'm sure the instructors will feel very vulnerable. Especially if sticking rigorously to the displayed speed on the dash.

Nah, motorway speeds seem to have dropped over the last 10 or 15 years. Some is due to congestion, not sure about the rest, maybe fear of prosecution or for economy, but you can often sit at a true 70mph and be one of the faster cars. Sure, going by dash speed will reduce it a bit, but I don't think you will be vulnerable. Try a Caterham on the M25 for that effect.

vanman

Postby vanman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:50 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:I think it is a good idea but I'm sure the instructors will feel very vulnerable. Especially if sticking rigorously to the displayed speed on the dash.

Sorry but isn't that the speed not to be exceeded under any circumstances on the IAM test?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:15 pm

Yes, and?

Luckily we don't have any motorways near us, but even on dual carriageways when riding at an indicated 70 you are often the slowest thing around and need very good awareness of what is going on behind you.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:08 am

vanman wrote:

Sorry but isn't that the speed not to be exceeded under any circumstances on the IAM test?

I loved a story I once read on the old IAM forum. At the start of an IAM test a candidate said to the examiner "I will be using my GPS to give me my speed". The examiner replied "That's fine. I'll be using your speedometer."

jont-

Postby jont- » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:29 am

Taffy wrote:I loved a story I once read on the old IAM forum. At the start of an IAM test a candidate said to the examiner "I will be using my GPS to give me my speed". The examiner replied "That's fine. I'll be using your speedometer."

They'd be welcome to in the Caterham. It bounces around +/- about 15 mph and ignoring the error bars, it underreads by a good 10% :lol:

Matt1962

Postby Matt1962 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:16 am

martine wrote:"The DVSA have announced that driving instructors will be allowed to take learners on motorways from 4 June 2018.
Only approved driving instructors with dual controlled cars will be allowed to give motorway lessons. They will only do this if they are confident the learner has the skills and knowledge to drive on the motorway safely."

Thoughts?

As with the graduated licences thread the 'dual controlled cars' mention is interesting. Unlike on most other roads, a big (possibly the biggest) potential danger would be driving too slowly due to nervousness etc. Unless 'dual controls' means complete dual controls (including the steering wheel) it is difficult to work out how the instructor would (safely) be able to deal with that.....

fungus

Postby fungus » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:56 am

Matt1962 wrote:
martine wrote:"The DVSA have announced that driving instructors will be allowed to take learners on motorways from 4 June 2018.

Thoughts?

As with the graduated licences thread the 'dual controlled cars' mention is interesting. Unlike on most other roads, a big (possibly the biggest) potential danger would be driving too slowly due to nervousness etc. Unless 'dual controls' means complete dual controls (including the steering wheel) it is difficult to work out how the instructor would (safely) be able to deal with that.....

Regarding the steering wheel. Lean across and take control as they would normally. Driving too slowly. Verbal encouragement. But I would imagine they wouldn't take a learner onto a motorway until they have had sufficient practice on faster dual carriageways, and a basic knowlege of motorway procedures.

Nigel.

Return to “General Chat”