Time lapse of highwat crash in Iowa

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
ancient

Re: Time lapse of highwat crash in Iowa

Postby ancient » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:02 am

In those conditions, it's often about being aware of (and using) an escape route; which to be fair, some of them did.

Taffy

Postby Taffy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:21 am

RiK wrote:
Jonquirk wrote:Keeping a two-second gap to he vehicle in front is quite a challenge with others dropping in to such a large space.

Fixed that for you..

I've never seen that as a problem. If I am travelling at the same speed as the vehicle in front, anyone that passes me is likely to want to pass the vehicle in front as well. I'm happy to let them go. I'd prefer to have them in front of me instead of behind me anyway. If they stay in the gap, I drop back, adding a couple of seconds to my journey time. That has to happen a lot before it has any significant effect on my total journey time.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am

ancient wrote:In those conditions, it's often about being aware of (and using) an escape route; which to be fair, some of them did.

Do you think any of them actually 'planned' beyond 'steer away'*? Probably pot luck whether it was a space, a sign or a tree.

* Which, to be fair, isn't a natural reaction. Fight or flight tends to narrow vision into target fixation.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

ancient

Postby ancient » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:31 pm

I have no idea whether they were planning the escape, but some did manage it. It's still a useful habit to practice (IMO) whether they planned to do so or not.

Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 pm

ancient wrote:I have no idea whether they were planning the escape, but some did manage it. It's still a useful habit to practice (IMO) whether they planned to do so or not.

I had a near miss recently. Leaving work along an access road, with building site access on the left. Car came out, driver seemed to have little intention of stopping. Firm (very) braking, realised I wouldn't stop, steered around the front of the other car (the driver had decided to stop - but he obstructing the lane). I stopped. Looking out of the rear nearside window, the other driver looked a tad shocked.

Point is, I talk about having an escape route, using The Jump, etc - but it wasn't my first reaction.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:10 am

RiK wrote:
Jonquirk wrote:Keeping a two-second gap to he vehicle in front is quite a challenge with others dropping in to such a large space.

Fixed that for you..

Anyone got a car with a adaptive cruise control? I've never driven one. Do you find yourself continually being pushed back in the flow of traffic as vehicles pinch your braking space and the car drops back automatically? How far does the adaptive cruise control sit behind the vehicle you are following?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
RiK wrote:

Fixed that for you..

Anyone got a car with a adaptive cruise control? I've never driven one. Do you find yourself continually being pushed back in the flow of traffic as vehicles pinch your braking space and the car drops back automatically? How far does the adaptive cruise control sit behind the vehicle you are following?

I believe it's variable from sane to the full audi (chosen by the driver) :twisted:

Horse

Postby Horse » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:45 am

ancient wrote:I have no idea whether they were planning the escape, but some did manage it. It's still a useful habit to practice (IMO) whether they planned to do so or not.

I realised that I didn't explain simply: were they steering away (from collision) or toward (safety)? The result might be the same, but could be catastrophically different.

ancient

Postby ancient » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 am

Horse wrote:

I realised that I didn't explain simply: were they steering away (from collision) or toward (safety)? The result might be the same, but could be catastrophically different.

Indeed, particularly when other vehicles use the same 'escape' route.

I recall using an escape route years ago: On a motorbike in London, a wet and greasy day. A car pulled out from a side-turning on my right, too close to stop so I escaped down the offside successfully. The car immediately turned right into the next road (the same square she'd come out of) and a second escape didn't happen.

Return to “General Chat”