Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
ChunkyMunky1964

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby ChunkyMunky1964 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Wow... is all I can say. The Police Chief should demonstrate that he can maintain the exact speed limit across all road types / speed limits to prove it is possible :twisted:

A couple of considerations

> how new is your car & how accurate is that speedo
> old car & old analogue speedo
> are speed cameras that well calibated?

....we did have a demo by a speed enforcement officer a while back (IAM Bristol Event) & I wish I could remember what he said the acuuracy of the mobile speed camera was.

Would any lawyers care to comment if speeding at 31 in 30 zone would stand up in court?

Gary
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today. They left a little note on the windscreen, it said 'Parking Fine.'
...........so that was nice.

Horse

Re: Motorists should be penalised for going just 1mph over the speed limit, Britain’s road policing chief says

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:57 pm

See my earlier post about a colleague who was done for 41 in a 40. There's a twist: he supplied the evidence. IIRC Camera van was saying 48, but he had a GPS log which showed 41. Magistrates accepted his evidence and found him guilty anyway.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 pm

Horse wrote:See my earlier post about a colleague who was done for 41 in a 40. There's a twist: he supplied the evidence. IIRC Camera van was saying 48, but he had a GPS log which showed 41. Magistrates accepted his evidence and found him guilty anyway.

Magistrates should have GPS trackers fitted on their bloody cars. Bunch of hypocrites if they claim they never speed. Same with any plod and scamera operators (and members of brake).

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:52 pm

jont- wrote:
Horse wrote:See my earlier post about a colleague who was done for 41 in a 40. There's a twist: he supplied the evidence. IIRC Camera van was saying 48, but he had a GPS log which showed 41. Magistrates accepted his evidence and found him guilty anyway.

Magistrates should have GPS trackers fitted on their bloody cars. Bunch of hypocrites if they claim they never speed.

I don't know that they did. I think, instead, they just smiled and thanked him for his evidence :)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Postby jont- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:57 pm

Horse wrote:
jont- wrote:

Magistrates should have GPS trackers fitted on their bloody cars. Bunch of hypocrites if they claim they never speed.

I don't know that they did. I think, instead, they just smiled and thanked him for his evidence :)

Yes, ok, semantics. Sorry, but if you want to be a position of upholding the law, you should be whiter than white yourself. (In the same way, councillors that trot out drivel about "any speed limit reduction is a good thing" in the face of DfT advice should be forced out of their post as they're clearly too thick to hold a position of responsibility).

/yes I'm grumpy.

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:25 pm

jont- wrote:

Magistrates should have GPS trackers fitted on their bloody cars. Bunch of hypocrites if they claim they never speed. Same with any plod and scamera operators (and members of brake).

"Anyone who says they never break the speed limit is either a liar or menace." I can't remember who said it but I do remember it being someone well respected in the motoring world.

The Chief constable is clearly an authoritarian idiot. He is not interested in what is safe, only in what is legal and the enforcement thereof. I wonder if he has secret fantasies that he is really Dredd.

angus

Postby angus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:33 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:
My Clio has it to get through some emissions hoops. I have to turn it off each time I start the engine as it can't be permanently switched off.

Don't worry - Renault put such crappy batteries in their cars, that the stop/start won't work soon. Mine seldom cut in until I replaced the battery

martine

Postby martine » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:24 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:...My Clio has it to get through some emissions hoops. I have to turn it off each time I start the engine as it can't be permanently switched off.

Why do you turn it off?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

fungus

Postby fungus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:51 pm

I am, or did come to the conclusion long ago, that those charged with making roads safer simply don't have a clue. Locally we have a bus stop just yards to the left of a junction from, Albert Rd, onto the main Wareham Rd through the village. Virtually opposite the bus stop is a junction on the opposite side of the road. To the right of Albert RD is a lay by and also a puffin crossing. There is also a bus stop within the controlled area of the crossing. Just beyond the lay by is the entrance to a small car park at the rear of the shops. Visibility is poor from this junction as there are often parked vehicles blocking your veiw.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.76522 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Dorset polices veiw seem to coincide with the generally held 10 per cent +2mph over the limit.

Nigel.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 pm

martine wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:...My Clio has it to get through some emissions hoops. I have to turn it off each time I start the engine as it can't be permanently switched off.

Why do you turn it off?

Seriously?

Because it keeps turning the engine off!

OK, I'll explain.

It's just an abomination. Pull up at a RAB. Engine stops. Sit observing waiting for a suitable gap. See a gap. Time when to join. Press accelerator. Engine starts. Car selects first gear. Car starts to move. Ohhhh **** we've wasted too much time. Apply brake. Engine turns off. Repeat at every junction on a busy cross town drive.

If I'm going to be stopped a long time (say at railway crossing) I can turn the engine off myself.

As Angus has said the battery is marginally fit for purpose and a lot of the time even when it would be beneficial the engine fires back into life (or never turns off) as you have the radio, heated rear window, heated mirrors and air con switched on.

This was all experienced in the first two weeks of ownership. It was a novelty when everything went quiet. Now the routine is ...

Seatbelts on. Foot on brake. Press start button. Press stop/start disable. Select gear. Drive.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Return to “General Chat”