Why autonomous cars won't be able to drive properly...

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
sussex2

Re: Why autonomous cars won't be able to drive properly...

Postby sussex2 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:43 am

Horse wrote:
sussex2 wrote:I'm assuming, rather hoping, there will be an OFF button somewhere :)

Next you'll be insisting that you want to see a cashier on a checkout in the supermarket ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42769096

Insist no, but prefer yes :)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am

sussex2 wrote:
Horse wrote:Next you'll be insisting that you want to see a cashier on a checkout in the supermarket ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42769096

Insist no, but prefer yes :)

A year down the line there are no cashiers. "Our analysis shows that nobody was using cashiers, so we are doing what the customer wants" conveniently forgetting there were no cashiers to use.

A bit like the bike manufactures saying everyone is buying Adventure bikes ... yes, because you are killing off all the Sports Tourers! :(

Autonomous cars I fear will go the same way. There will be no choice. Just like trying to buy a car now that isn't full of infotainment **** that should be an option.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:54 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:Autonomous cars I fear will go the same way. There will be no choice. Just like trying to buy a car now that isn't full of infotainment **** that should be an option.

I think Caterham are still offering new models for sale :twisted:

/but agreed, and in particular touchscreens should be banned as dangerous distractions :soap:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm

jont- wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:Autonomous cars I fear will go the same way. There will be no choice. Just like trying to buy a car now that isn't full of infotainment **** that should be an option.

I think Caterham are still offering new models for sale :twisted:

/but agreed, and in particular touchscreens should be banned as dangerous distractions :soap:

Not just a distraction; actually bloody dangerous to use unless stationary. The extra cognitive effort required to touch accurately the correct spot on the display is tremendous. It is an unfortunate trend that so many manufacturers are going down the touch screen route, presumably on grounds of cost, and none more so than Tesla.

jont-

Postby jont- » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:23 pm

Strangely Brown wrote:Not just a distraction; actually bloody dangerous to use unless stationary. The extra cognitive effort required to touch accurately the correct spot on the display is tremendous. It is an unfortunate trend that so many manufacturers are going down the touch screen route, presumably on grounds of cost, and none more so than Tesla.

It's not cost, they're bloody expensive. It's because consumers want "shiny" and buy on the strength of IVI these days given the rest of the cars are much of a muchness.

Interestingly someone was telling me trucks can't use them because the drivers bounce around too much to accurately hit the screen. Clearly they haven't driven a modern car on "sports" suspension down a fen road either :bash: :bash: :bash:

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Not cost? I would have thought that the cost of the screen module is much less to fit initially and replace later than a whole raft of hard buttons and displays. If that's not the case then I am surprised.

I do accept completely that consumers buy on the strength of the shiny shiny and "oooh, my car has got wi-fi", especially the younger ones. Long gone are the days of the consumer buying something that is function over form and welcome to the age of superficiality. Maybe it has always been thus but we are now just more aware of it.

TheInsanity1234

Postby TheInsanity1234 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:09 pm

jont- wrote:
Strangely Brown wrote:Not just a distraction; actually bloody dangerous to use unless stationary. The extra cognitive effort required to touch accurately the correct spot on the display is tremendous. It is an unfortunate trend that so many manufacturers are going down the touch screen route, presumably on grounds of cost, and none more so than Tesla.

It's not cost, they're bloody expensive. It's because consumers want "shiny" and buy on the strength of IVI these days given the rest of the cars are much of a muchness.

Interestingly someone was telling me trucks can't use them because the drivers bounce around too much to accurately hit the screen. Clearly they haven't driven a modern car on "sports" suspension down a fen road either :bash: :bash: :bash:

The Yeti has a built in touch screen to control the radio functions etc, and I have a touch screen portable thing that mounts on to the dashboard with a special mount that allows it to display trip computer information etc. While in theory, the wee thing in my car should be safer to operate, as it's positioned high up on the dashboard, so thus is much closer to your natural line of sight (as it is used for satnav purposes too), while the Yeti has its multimedia screen down in the centre of the console. I actually prefer the Yeti implementation as it has steering wheel controls, AND the radio information etc is also displayed in the little screen between the speedometer and rev counter, meaning you never need look down at the actual touch screen, and you can use tactile feedback to remember what the buttons and scroll wheels do on the steering wheel, meaning it's vastly safer than what the Citigo has, where you do actually have to look at the screen and prod at it 400 times because it's rather dim-witted.

Touch screens shouldn't be too much of a problem when they're used mainly for the 'multimedia' functions, and are linked with steering wheel controls. The problem with them arises when they are also used for the climate controls, and heated seat functions etc, much like how it's done in the latest Range Rover Velar!

Return to “General Chat”