Nitty Gritty Truth

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
Horse

Nitty Gritty Truth

Postby Horse » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

vanman

Re: Nitty Gritty Truth

Postby vanman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Lovely, most are happy to see these guys out and about. This just improves the happiness, good for them.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 pm

If only they just came out when they are needed and not just on a gamble from overly pessimistic weather forecasts.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:04 am

Go on then, I'll bite. How will they know other than by forecasting (and roadside/in-surface remote sensing)?

And the follow-up question is: How much grief will they get if an incorrect 'don't send them out' decision is made?

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:29 pm

It's a constant discussion of why their forecasts differ so much from the actual weather.

It's quite regular they spread when quite mild and even when rain forecast.

Yes the 'duty of care' card. What about what the roads are like for longer after the frost would have long gone? That balance never gets talked about.

Something has changed in the last 15 years (approx). Much more gritting is done and the roads remain in a slimy condition for much much longer. Car windscreen wash/sprayers struggle to keep your screen clean and visors are caked in a few miles.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Way out of my areas of work, but I know that there experiments underway on spreading brine instead of salt, or wetted salt. That may have something to do with it. Or not. And there were tales of molasses being mixed so it stuck to the road - don't know if that's true!

And why do forecasts vary from actual weather? :) You do realise, surely, that weather forecasts are just horoscopes with added numbers? ;)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes, I've had all the discussions about brine etc.

Yes, the sticky stuff. ABP. Agricultural By Products, mixed with the salt. Hard to get anyone to admit to what product they actually spread.

Don't get me started on forecasts. Generally they are over pessimistic or over optimistic click bait!

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 pm

Which is why there (well, one reason) there is a move towards local temperature sensing to determine whether to spread, type and quantity.

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:If only they just came out when they are needed and not just on a gamble from overly pessimistic weather forecasts.

GTR1400MAN wrote:It's a constant discussion of why their forecasts differ so much from the actual weather.

Met folks aren't referred to as "weather guessers" for nothing.

On a slightly more serious note, it's a bugger of a job to get anything near right when a butterfly in the Pacific can upset all their calculations...

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am

Kill the butterfly? Would that sort it?

Return to “General Chat”