Please Explain

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GeoffGrayer

Please Explain

Postby GeoffGrayer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Perhaps I am old and thick (I am certainly old), but I haven't quite sussed how this chat-room works.
There seems to be some delay between postings being sent and appearing - is everyone vetted by 'Big Brother'? And why do some postings which I read yesterday seem to be missing today, and some I think I posted not appear at all? Makes it a bit like 'Alice in Wonderland'. Or maybe my computer is just 'on the blink'? :confused: - Geoff.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Re: Please Explain

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:12 pm

It's a forum like any other. If there was a slight delay it may have been because the server was busy or there was a minor database glitch. Just persevere and be patient. It's not you. It's often possible to post the same thing twice either by accidentally hitting the back button, or double-clicking on "Submit". I'll delete the other copy of this.
Nick

Gareth

Postby Gareth » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm

It's a forum, rather than a chat-room. No vetting, as far as I know, posts appear as soon as they are submitted. What can be confusing to a newcomer is the sheer number of separate discussion threads all running in parallel.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 pm

The only problem I have noticed is that sometimes the new posts page won’t load at about 6am. I presume the server is brushing its teeth and hanging up its dressing gown in preparation for another busy day. It usually loads five minutes later.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:25 pm

The Active Topics link (at the top of the page or in the burger menu on a mobile device) is very useful. Topics will be displayed with the one most recently commented on at the top of the list. If you are logged in to the forum the icon for each topic will tell you if you've read it or not.

That way you can monitor what topics/comments you have read and those that you haven't.

Additionally on a pc/laptop the little icon beside the name of the last person posting will take you directly to the comment.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:37 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:The Active Topics link (at the top of the page or in the burger menu on a mobile device)

I use "Unread" for an even quicker synopsis.
Nick

GeoffGrayer

Postby GeoffGrayer » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:47 pm

Thank you all for those responses. Especially to Nick for explaining why some of my postings disappeared. Yes, the 'Full Editor and Preview' changes can (at first) make it somewhat confusing. I must admit I am not used to 'Social Madia'! - Geoff :)

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Jonquirk wrote:The only problem I have noticed is that sometimes the new posts page won’t load at about 6am. I presume the server is brushing its teeth and hanging up its dressing gown in preparation for another busy day. It usually loads five minutes later.

I am usually asleep in bed that time, so while I pedal hard in the evening to store up energy, it might be running down by then :) I will buy another hamster!

The forum sits on one of my shared servers, so if there is intensive activity on another website it can slow down the server a bit, but should work most of the time, the overall uptime is quite high...

there was an issue in the Manchester area this morning which cut off all our servers (and our hosting company) but it was all back up in about 5 minutes...

if you can't get on, go for a drive :D

Alasdair

GeoffGrayer

Postby GeoffGrayer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 am

Why does my 'Private Messages' count read -1???
Ive had 3 messages, read them all, and replied to 2.
Does it record (OUT - IN) ?
Geoff.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:57 am

where are you seeing that?
messages you send are highlighted until in your outbox until the recipient reads them, so it might be that there is one sent and unread? Is it a hyphen rather than minus?
Alasdair

Return to “General Chat”