Road Ahead Closed

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Road Ahead Closed

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:19 pm

What does this sign mean and when did its meaning change?

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Triquet

Re: Road Ahead Closed

Postby Triquet » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:20 pm

It's a generic sign and means the road ahead is closed or the road joining at the next junction might be closed or you just came up a closed road ... or something.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Google for TSRGD. Revised within the last year or two, you may be able to find both versions. If you can't, PM me, I may have a copy filed away.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:07 pm

It was a bit of a rhetoric question. I have access to the specs.

A12 today heading North from Ipswich has loads of these signs, yet it is a B road after a right turn on a RAB that is closed. It was really confusing for a young rider I had out on a session this morning.

What has happened to using these?

Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Strangely Brown

Postby Strangely Brown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:48 am

I would guess that it is arse covering. If they didn't have the signs out then someone would complain that they weren't warned early enough. That or crass incompetence. I'm not sure.

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:42 am

Strangely Brown wrote:I would guess that it is arse covering. If they didn't have the signs out then someone would complain that they weren't warned early enough. That or crass incompetence. I'm not sure.

I think you have it one :mrgreen:

martine

Postby martine » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm missing something here...what's the controversy?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm

martine wrote:I'm missing something here...what's the controversy?

GTR1400MAN wrote:A12 today heading North from Ipswich has loads of these signs, yet it is a B road after a right turn on a RAB that is closed. It was really confusing for a young rider I had out on a session this morning.

i.e. the road ahead is not actually closed - which would suggest do not pass the sign...
but some random adjoining road later on which is closed - fair enough that you want warning, but might stop you taking this road, which is not necessary...

Alasdair

martine

Postby martine » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 pm

In the second photo it does have the arrow indicating where the road is closed...of course in this case it's pretty obvious. It would be helpful. when it's not so obvious. to have the distance indicated to the road closure...but I suppose that would mean customised signs.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm

The photos are ones already on the internet.

The offending road has quite a few of the first version all the way along a 3/4 mile long stretch leading to a RAB (where the road at 3 o'clock is closed). I knew about the closure as it is controversial cutting off the whole eastern peninsula, except for a narrow route through a small market town. However for someone not knowing the area, or not up on local news, the signs are confusing. This has happened to me many times over the last couple of years and is one of the reasons I often just keep on going, as the meaning is not known. I'm sure the second sign pictured was routinely used in the past. I've not seen one like it for a while. I checked the legal/technical docs and there are limited wording options for the sign 7010.1 which may be why. However there is this document which allows for sensible variations.

Also in the Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8 on page 38 it says "D3.15.7 Where a side road is closed and traffic cannot turn into it, traffic should be diverted by travelling ahead. In these cases, the “no right turn” or “no left turn” sign to diagram 612 or 613 (in conjunction with
the necessary order) should be used."
but that would be too confusing as some local resident access is permitted, however I've not seen this option used where the mouth of the road is blocked off.

Return to “General Chat”