Great coaching style at Mercedes Benz World

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
waremark

Great coaching style at Mercedes Benz World

Postby waremark » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Forgive me for linking one of Tim's Youtube videos, but I think the coaching style by Dafydd Williams (whom some of us know) in this video is excellent. The coaching starts after 3 mins if you want to leave out the preamble:

https://youtu.be/a-YWMA-76Uo

I admire the mix of questioning, encouragement, praise and fun. And the constant reference to where you look reads across directly to road driving. Let me know what you think.

waremark

Re: Great coaching style at Mercedes Benz World

Postby waremark » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 pm

I am disappointed that no-one else has commented on the coaching in that video, so I am giving my link a bump before it disappears off the active list.

Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 pm

I only got around to watching it yedterday. TBH I struggled to continue watching beyond the introduction.

Also I'd liked - preferred even - to have heard what was going on in the other car on the wet circle ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 pm

The coaching was good and competent.

He was very calm but they were on a track with acres of run off.

Is there something particular we are supposed to spot?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

crr003

Postby crr003 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 pm

waremark wrote:I am disappointed that no-one else has commented on the coaching in that video, so I am giving my link a bump before it disappears off the active list.

I did watch it and he does have a pleasant way about him.
I imagine the normal punter that turns up having bought a Merc, would appreciate his style.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm

How much Advanced training has Tim done? I know he has done some based on one of his other videos where someone else in the car commented on his continual use of the hand brake in stop start traffic and he mentioned it was from Advanced training. But it was interesting to see how much further Dafydd was trying to get him to look. I guess partly down to it being track and he already knows where you should be looking before they've even got there.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:How much Advanced training has Tim done? I know he has done some based on one of his other videos where someone else in the car commented on his continual use of the hand brake in stop start traffic and he mentioned it was from Advanced training. But it was interesting to see how much further Dafydd was trying to get him to look. I guess partly down to it being track and he already knows where you should be looking before they've even got there.

I don’t know of all his passed advanced training he has had but I and one or two others on here have driven with him not on track but public roads. I should think he would have no problems with Masters distinction. I expect others who have driven with him might also agree. Hope that may help in part to answer your question.
Last edited by jcochrane on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcochrane
Location: Surrey-Kent borders and wherever good driving roads are.

Postby jcochrane » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:39 am

jcochrane wrote:
IcedKiwi wrote:How much Advanced training has Tim done? I know he has done some based on one of his other videos where someone else in the car commented on his continual use of the hand brake in stop start traffic and he mentioned it was from Advanced training. But it was interesting to see how much further Dafydd was trying to get him to look. I guess partly down to it being track and he already knows where you should be looking before they've even got there.

I don’t know of all his passed advanced training he has had but I and one or two others on here have driven with him not on track but public roads. I should think he would have no problems with Masters distinction. I expect others who have driven with him might also agree. Hope that may help in part to answer your question.

Edited.. :oops: Apologies, I had thought you were referring to Dafydd. I read your post too quickly. I’ve not driven with Tim so can’t comment. :oops:

Return to “General Chat”