Number plate legalities

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
GTR1400MAN

Re: Reg Local at Bristol IAM, 30 September 2017

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to derail your post, number plates/cans etc. are a big topic of discussion in the bike world and something we have to contend with as IAMers. Seeing it flouted (by someone high profile) on the car side hits a nerve.

Perhaps you can tell us some more about the day, attendees and the sort of feedback you got.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:37 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:You are all missing the point ... it is illegal. Wrong spacing as well as missing the makers info etc.

You can not be selective about which bits of your vehicle are legal.

Hmmm how does 'making safe progress *wink*' fit with that? Shouldn't, perhaps, pick and choose which laws we abide by when moving either?
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

kfae8959

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:42 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote:You are all missing the point ... it is illegal. Wrong spacing as well as missing the makers info etc.

I looked into this a few years ago when trying to find a way to display the front number plate on my MX-5 without recourse to Mazda's rather flimsy plastic "plinth". This bit of the law is oddly constructed: the legislation itself does not specify how a number plate must be made; it only says that it must conform to a particular British Standard. The dimensions, character size and spacing, thickness, reflective properties, colour, and so on, of number plates, are only as laid out in the BS (I use the abbreviation advisedly), and are not in the primary legislation.

Could one, then, argue that it is the manufacturer who is culpable for not meeting the industry standard?

David

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:17 pm

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:You can not be selective about which bits of your vehicle are legal.

Hmmm how does 'making safe progress *wink*' fit with that? Shouldn't, perhaps, pick and choose which laws we abide by when moving either?

?? Not sure what you are alluding to. Safe progress has to be legal. Care to expand?
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

jont-

Postby jont- » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:23 am

kfae8959 wrote:

I looked into this a few years ago when trying to find a way to display the front number plate on my MX-5 without recourse to Mazda's rather flimsy plastic "plinth". This bit of the law is oddly constructed: the legislation itself does not specify how a number plate must be made; it only says that it must conform to a particular British Standard. The dimensions, character size and spacing, thickness, reflective properties, colour, and so on, of number plates, are only as laid out in the BS (I use the abbreviation advisedly), and are not in the primary legislation.

Could one, then, argue that it is the manufacturer who is culpable for not meeting the industry standard?

Depends on whether the customer has specified a legal plate or not. Often when you buy one you have the option of ticking a box "for show purposes only" which means it won't conform to the standard, but can have whatever layout/spacing/sizing you want.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:02 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:You can not be selective about which bits of your vehicle are legal.

?? Not sure what you are alluding to. Safe progress has to be legal. Care to expand?

e.g. Seeing the NSL white background/black diagonal as 'GLF' (these days bowdlerised to 'Go Like Fury').

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am

Horse wrote:e.g. Seeing the NSL white background/black diagonal as 'GLF' (these days bowdlerised to 'Go Like Fury').

Those days are long gone. Everything within the posted limits.

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:35 am

GTR1400MAN wrote:
Horse wrote:e.g. Seeing the NSL white background/black diagonal as 'GLF' (these days bowdlerised to 'Go Like Fury').

Sorry, was unclear. I meant personally as much as during training.

I was also thinking of club rider-outs rather than training sessions. My local Group used to advertise runs in the club magazine, euphamistically rated ccording to the 'enthusiasm' of the riding to be expected. To be fair, that was a few years back, so I don't know whether either the description or the riding has changed. Or both.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:54 am

Horse wrote:
GTR1400MAN wrote:

Sorry, was unclear. I meant personally as much as during training.

I was also thinking of club rider-outs rather than training sessions. My local Group used to advertise runs in the club magazine, euphamistically rated ccording to the 'enthusiasm' of the riding to be expected. To be fair, that was a few years back, so I don't know whether either the description or the riding has changed. Or both.

Everything within the posted limits. Made very clear in the briefing for all training and at the start of our social runs.

Personally, I adhere to that in my everyday riding in any case. Though then I do use real speed, rather than speedo speed.

Rolyan

Postby Rolyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:01 pm

You can not be selective about which bits of your vehicle are legal.

At our meeting, 'Reg Local' discussed how there's a road near him with a 30mph limit opening up to an NSL. He was honest enough to admit that he deliberately speeds up in the 30mph, to well above it, to prevent those who would overtake him before the NSL from doing so.

He explained his reasons and although some agreed with him, there were others concerned that an ex-plod, responsible for enforcing absolute laws, admitted to deliberately breaking those same absolute laws.

Its the same with the number plate; the idea that his wife buying it for his birthday making it acceptable is laughable.

That aside, it was a good evening and there was some interesting information, particularly on the KSI and how small an injury can be and still make it onto the KSI list (broken wrist, broken rib etc.). The data on accidents seriously makes you question the emphasis on some of the so called road safety initiatives, including speeding, using the phone, etc.

Return to “General Chat”