Number plate legalities

Anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - doesn't have to be AD related.
RiK

Re: Reg Local at Bristol IAM, 30 September 2017

Postby RiK » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:24 pm

RiK wrote:Huge difference between bikes with tiny plates which are unreadable from a distance (and from anpr cameras) vs a bit of creative spacing which is still perfectly readable from the same distance as a regulation plate too...

Something of a difference between this:

-vs-

and this:
Richard Olpin: Bristol IAM: Training Officer, IAM: Masters (Dist), IMI National Observer, LOA. Gloucestershire Constabulary SC6240.

hir

Postby hir » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:46 pm

MrToad wrote:I suspect most people could easily be helped to understand the difference between safety-related issues like those, and vanity / administrative issues like the mis-spaced plate.

That's beside the point. The point being made is the difference between legal and illegal. :o

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 pm

RiK wrote: Image
-vs-

and this:

Are there degrees of illegal? A bit like being 'slightly pregnant' and 'mildly dead'? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:36 pm

RiK wrote:
RiK wrote:Huge difference between bikes with tiny plates which are unreadable from a distance (and from anpr cameras) vs a bit of creative spacing which is still perfectly readable from the same distance as a regulation plate too...

Something of a difference between this:

PICTURES SNIPPED

and this:
PICTURE SNIPPED

EDIT: Posted in the same time as Horse.

None what so ever. Both illegal. One on spacing and missing information (so not to the standard required), the other too small as well (there are plenty of bikes get done with much larger plates than that). And that's the point I'm making, but failing to get across :headbang: . If you are going to advocate advanced driving/riding then you yourself need to be squeeky clean. Those young drivers you are trying to attract will bend the rules as far as they can. "It's only a bit of window film". "It's only just touching the arches"

NB. For clarity I see no point/justification in silly small plates on bikes, and my comments are not to justify their use, but to draw a parallel.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Silk

Postby Silk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm

I'm of the opinion that spending good money on something that has no effect other than make the driver look a bit of a tit is stupidity of the highest order all by itself. Illegally spacing the numbers/letters on a plate you could afford in an attempt to replicate the plate you couldn't afford, even more so.

I'm afraid my respect for Mr. Local has gone from somewhere approaching 100% to less than 10% because of this. As I'm sure you can tell, I'm no fan of "vanity" plates - the clue is in the name. :vomit:

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:18 pm

GTR1400MAN wrote: NB. For clarity I see no point/justification in silly small plates on bikes, and my comments are not to justify their use, but to draw a parallel.

Ditto.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

hir

Postby hir » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:02 pm

Silk wrote:I'm afraid my respect for Mr. Local has gone from somewhere approaching 100% to less than 10% because of this.

Has your respect for Mr Local fallen because he just meekly and obediently fitted to his car, without protest, the plates presented to him by Mrs Local on his birthday?

As any fule kno, what should have been said to Mrs Local was... "I thank you, Mrs Local, for your kind and thoughtful gesture on the auspicious occasion of my birthday, but you must realise that these number plates, that you have so kindly purchased, do not conform to current UK legislation, and I therefore cannot legally fit them to my road going motor car. So, I have to say to you... Oi! Mrs Local, No! ...I'm not the vain, egotistical or narcissistic person you believe me to be. You cannot expect me to fit illegal number plates to my road going motor vehicle!"

[with sincere apologies to Harry Enfield]
Last edited by hir on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

waremark

Re: Number plate legalities

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:53 am

The irony is that though illegal those plates are capable of being machine read, and are far more likely to be remembered by any human witnesses than if they were legally spaced. Personally, I make value judgements about laws, and although my own number plates have always been legally spaced my respect for Reg has in no way been diminished by this.

akirk

Postby akirk » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:36 am

waremark wrote:The irony is that though illegal those plates are capable of being machine read, and are far more likely to be remembered by any human witnesses than if they were legally spaced. Personally, I make value judgements about laws, and although my own number plates have always been legally spaced my respect for Reg has in no way been diminished by this.

well said...

I would agree that it is not the best example - especially in an AD world where people tend to be quite observant (and sometimes a bit picky!) however I think it is easy enough to understand that this really doesn't negate his good advice online and elsewhere on how to drive...

Alasdair

hir

Postby hir » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:52 am

akirk wrote:
waremark wrote:The irony is that though illegal those plates are capable of being machine read, and are far more likely to be remembered by any human witnesses than if they were legally spaced. Personally, I make value judgements about laws, and although my own number plates have always been legally spaced my respect for Reg has in no way been diminished by this.

well said...

I would agree that it is not the best example - especially in an AD world where people tend to be quite observant (and sometimes a bit picky!) however I think it is easy enough to understand that this really doesn't negate his good advice online and elsewhere on how to drive...

Alasdair

Of course, no one is suggesting that this action in any way negates his advice on driving or diminishes one's respect for his driving skills. I think the issue is about judgement. The question of judgement being... is this the sort of thing someone in his position should have done? And, in my opinion, I think both Mr & Mrs Local will surely be reflecting that, on this occasion, judgement was lacking.

Return to “General Chat”